Will 20mm F1.8 still be used?

davyjo

I am waiting for the rain to stop and hoping the power will stay on for a while

here in Maine as a powerful storm moves by. I am also waiting for my new 17-55mm

EFS lens to arrive on Wednesday and am wondering if my Sigma 20mm f/1.8 will

ever get used again?

<P>

I sold my 28-135mm IS since I wasn't using it at all. I either grabbed the 20mm

or my 50mm f/1.8 II or my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I ordered the new Canon after

reading a million posts and reviews and can't wait to use it this weekend. <p>

I know that this is purely a personal decision but I'm just curious if others

have continued to use a prime like the 20mm and 50mm? I'm guessing that I'll

never sell the 50 but the 20mm could finance something else.<p>

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have the Sigma 20mm too and while I don't use it as often as I once did, I decided against selling it when I bought my 17-40mm f/4L because even though it is a bit soft wide open it can sometimes mean the difference between getting something or nothing in dim light. It also has excellent close-focusing abilities and stopped down ~ f/8 isn't shabby at all in the sharpness department, either. I can't explain it but the images from it have a certain character to them that I like too, so I'm hanging on to mine. It's just one of two Sigma lenses that I've kept. Just my .02 cents - good luck!

If you need the extra two stops, or feel like using a prime for creative purposes, you'll use it. I have one, and it's my main lens on my 30D. Speaking of Maine, I'm in Portland-whereabouts are you? I kept my power for the entire storm, but I know a number of people that lost power for quite a while.

NOTHING can replace a fast lens, except an even faster one. I'd keep using the Sigma. I still use my 135mm f/2 even though I have a very sharp 70-300 DO. In fact, I sold my 70-200 f/2.8 and got both of those lenses instead. It is a much more useful combo than the one 2.8 telephoto zoom, at least to me. The DO is very small and light, but only suited for daytime use. So, in low light, I use the 135 instead. You will probably find yourself missing the extra stop and a third if you sell your Sigma.

Keith