I want a Leica. I am poor. CONUNDRUM.

So, I've decided I want a rangefinder, and the rangefinder I want is an M4, but I'm about $1k short. What

are some less-costy but similar alternatives? I've looked at the Soviet FEDs and Zorkiys, and I might

start out with one of those (a FED-3 or Zorkiy 6), but I would like to eventually have a rangefinder made

by people with some incentive to make a good product.

There are lots of different rangefinders out there; which ones would satisfy--well, postpone--my M4

lust on a tiny, tiny budget?

I feel that I need the following:

Lever wind

Accessory shoe

Interchangeable lenses

Combined VF/RF

What fits these requirements? Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome, on-topic or only

slightly related. I'm new to rangefinders and I have a lot to learn.

The Soviets put a man is space before we did. I have some FSU watches that will compare favorably with a lot of stuff from Switzerland. Some of their lenses are the equal of Zeiss (clones) and their better cameras would hold their own with any but the best from Germany, US, or Japan. Their problem was with quality control. Sometimes you have to buy five of an item to find a good one and it will likely be superb! Technically their best camera was the Kiev, the first of which were reassembled Contaxes and even some of the later models were excellent. It is an adventure to get into the FSU camera venue. The best will make as good pics as the best of ours and the worst are as bad as any we have ever produces. You pays your nickel and you takes your choice!

But the Russian/Ukrainian clones have the same squinty finders as the originals. I have a No Name Kiev with a W. German made Sonnar. One must learn to handle one coming from a M-body, given the RF window placement and infinity lock release. Definitely less satisfying to use.

If you can postpone the need for interchangeable lenses, I'd say get something like a Konica Auto S2. It has an excellent, though fixed, f1.8/40mm lens, and is the real deal with a very bright, parallax corrected combined viewfinder/rangefinder. It has a lever rewind, metering and even shutter priority autoexposure, but will also operate in full manual mode. You can find one in good shape if you're careful for around $50. Best bargain out there.

"Spend the real money on a Mamiya 7."

I had a SWC and when used handheld the Leica comes very close at prints up to 24"X36", IME. If one shoots slides, then I'd agree. I wanted one once. I prefer prints. It's one of the several reasons I sold my much loved SWC.

Mark:

You can get a Leica M4 and a Leica lens for under $1k, if that's what you mean.

Here's one Leica M4-2 for $645:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LM029990391490&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=LM&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Here's a nicer M4 for $789:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LM020100000320&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=LM&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

If you are willing to settle for a Leica M3, here's one for $465:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LM029990044380&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=LM&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

I actually bought an M3 for $365 a couple of weeks ago from KEH. Yes, it is in USER/BGN/UGLY condition, but it serves me fine as a backup body. And the serial number is 1 million plus!

You can get a nice Leica 35mm or 50mm lens from them and still stay under $1k.

"And the serial number is 1 million plus!"

Another urban myth. The "old" shutter speed increments (and build quality) are just as good, as the shutter speeds on any M other than the M7 are off by a higher margin. I cannot comment on the M8.

"...it serves me fine as a backup body." Can you rely on it? A full CLA at ~$300 must be added to the price.

I recently bought an M2 that had a recent CLA, DAG receipt included. I KNOW I can count on it as a back-up.