Arca Swiss 8x10 Monolith questions, and Sinar question

brian_wayne

I'm relatively new to large format - I've had a Linhof Master Technika 4x5 for about a year and began

extensively using it as my primary camera about 3 months ago and really have become more familiar with

the movements and the benefits of them in making an image. However I came to realize 4x5 is to small

for what I need (need tons of detail as I make huge prints) and also came to see that the movments of my

field camera are too limiting. (And doing fine movments using the rear standard on the Technika is a

major pain in the ass because it is so clunky and imprecise!)

So because of the limitations of the 4x5 format and camera movments of the field format (and also

because I am starting grad school for a Masters in photography) I decided to upgrade to an 8x10. So I

discovered the Arca Swiss F compact and it seemed exactly like what I wanted, extra movments plus

comapct and portable - and then I found a 8x10 M-line Monolith on eBay, and although it ultimately

seems like a better camera it is a bit heavier (the main drawback for me since about 90% of the time I have

to take the camera on location and ideally wanted a relatively light and compact camera). But because of

the cheap price I decided to buy it and am going to pick it up in a few days.

So is there anyone who has exerience with Arca Swiss monoliths? I think it should be ok to carry around

for a few hours - my Linhof is about 8 lb and have no problem with its weight and this one is 13-15lbs

(and I lift weights so an extra 6 or 7 lbs shouldn't be that big of a deal) and if I get the collapsible monorail

that should make it very similar to the F compact (although I realize the function carriers are a bit bigger

then the compact version). Basically I just want other Arca-Swiss users to tell me I made a good choice! : )

And any other pointers or tips you might have - remember, my only experience with large format is with

my Linhof 4x5 - never used a monorail before.

Also I was wondering about Sinars - and see they are quite a bit more expensive than other cameras. I'm

positive they are great cameras from what I've read - but are they really worth the extra money? Or is it

just because it is a 'luxury' brand where you are paying more because of the name? (like Gucci, the

clothes ARE extremely well made and designed but cost way more than other comparatively crafted

clothes by smaller labels just because it's Gucci)

thanks!

<p>Also, the camera I got is not the current version made - the function carriers are slightly different and the front standard has a knob whereas the new ones do not. Does anyone know what these differences are and if it makes a big difference or not? (and one think that I like about Arca Swiss is that I can but the new fuction carriers and standards if I want)

<p><a href="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/455814224_86990a854c_o.jpg">my old

version camera</a>

<p><a href="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/455814222_defe719235_o.jpg">new

version camera</a>

<p>I will be doing everything from landscape to still life, architecture, portraiture etc so

wanted one that can do everything. I realize it's primarily a studio camera but even doing

landscape I would like a really precise and geared camera. Again the only drawback for

me is weight but think it will be managable.

Sure would hate to carry those around. Here are some lightweight suggestions. Ebony RW810, Wisner Traditional 8x10, Wehman, Phillips, Lotus 8x10, Tachihara or Osaka. I am required to inform you that I am a large format camera dealer. I sell Ebony, Lotus, Osaka, but not the others. Personally I just got a 5x7 Osaka and love it (not because I sell it but because it will get you as good a picture as the expensive cameras--all Osakas are actually out of stock now).

Bruce,

yeah, I'm sure it will be more of a pain to carry around but I got such a good deal on it I

couldn't pass it up. I put 15 lbs of weights in my bag to see what it will feel like to carry

and it is heavier than what I would ideally like but will be able to manage! Maybe in a

couple years I'll get a lighter-weight one to take around out of the studio. I almost got a

Phillips Compact also on eBay but in the end wanted one with more movements and

geared movments. I did a lot of research before I decided to buy the Arca-Swiss and all

the ones you mentioned look very good too. For about 10 minutes I considered an Ebony

8x10 but just didn't want to pay that much!

I have in the past carted around 4x5 rail cameras, and it wasn't too painful unless I had to hike a long ways by foot on a rough trail where a cart was unusable. But even that wasn't too tough, but we are talking 4x5 cameras like the Orbit and Toyo monorails, not an 8x10 Monolith. Besides weight, size is a big issue, so unless you feel comfortable breaking down the camera into its components so it packs smaller, then you will always have a lot of work ahead of you when in the field.

So when you find another good deal but on a nice field camera, then ponder the pros and cons versus the cost. I suspect many of us have multiple cameras for this reason-- monorails are ideal for the studio, and field cameras for outdoors, but each will be likely be at least adequate for the job while in other environs.

"Besides weight, size is a big issue, so unless you feel comfortable breaking down the camera into its components so it packs smaller, then you will always have a lot of work ahead of you when in the field."

This isn't a problem for the ARCA-SWISS. I'm not sure which rail configuration Brian's Monolith has, but I use the telescoping rails with all my ARCA-SWISS cameras is various formats. I always collapse both standards onto a short rail 15cm section, then it's just a matter of flipping two levers to remove the short rail from the extension bracket. I took me about as long to type that sentence as it does to set-up/tear down the camera.

Last year, I built a 7x17 conversion kit for my ARCA-SWISS F-Line. Here's a photo of that camera with both standards on the short 15cm rail section. It actually collapses smaller than any other 7x17 camera I've seen - and can be transported with a lens mounted and be ready to shot in a matter of seconds.

Kerry<div>00KjTf-35985684.jpg.2615cc319b5499872609c6423b96eb46.jpg</div>

The camera you've bought doesn't weigh in at much more than the Ansco 8x10 model that Edward Weston used and that Ansel Adams used for a time -- might weigh about the same.

I've shot 8x10 in the field with everything from an old Ansco studio model to a Deardorff -- they're all a bit heavy, and they all work to get the shot.

Generally speaking, if you like the camera you've bought and you make photos with it, then it's the right camera! And if the lower price allows you to eat, besides -- or, even better, maybe buy an additional lens or two! -- then all the better.

Have a great time.

"Also, the camera I got is not the current version made - the function carriers are slightly different and the front standard has a knob whereas the new ones do not. Does anyone know what these differences are and if it makes a big difference or not?"

Brian,

You may have noticed that I have the same pre-Monolith (ca. 1984) front standard on my 7x17. The difference is the tilt and rise/fall movements are built into the format frame rather than the function carrier. For me, this worked out great as it let me use my existing F-Line function carrier, but still get self-arresting geared axis tilt and rise/fall.

I really like the precise one-handed operation of these movements when dealing with the heavy lenses and long extensions used for ULF work. I can lopue teh graound glass one hand while tweaking the front tilt with the other and I don't need to worry about needing a third hand to lock anything down - it's all self-arresting.

I became so spoiled by this luxury on my 7x17 that I have since upgraded the 110mm front format frame on my 4x5 to an F-Metric (geared rise/fall) with the Micrometric Orbix option (geard axis tilt) to get the same functionality on my smaller camera.

Kerry

Kerry,

That is a good trick that can be done with any monorail that is expandable by adding another section, including Toyos, etc., or by switching the standards onto a longer rail. Of course, the quality of your Arca Swiss is in a somewhat different class.

It would be nice if field cameras offered such possibilities rather than just trying to pack in as much extension as possible. Of course, some of the older field cameras like Korona and B&J did just that.