Editing Programs

Commercial software is usually licenced to a single user. If that copy is being used by him

or anyone else in addition to you, then you'd be breaking the copyright/terms of use set

forth by the manufacturer.... so yeah, it'd be NOT legal. <p>

Just research carefully and buy whatever software you need. Usually there is a trial version

that you can download to check it out first. Also, when you purchase a legal copy, usually

when the software is updated (all too often these days), the company gives you a

significant discount to get an upgraded copy. This is true with most Adobe products.

<p>

From what I've read, I'd highly recommend you check into Lightroom and Photoshop

Elements. If you continue with all this, you'll probably eventually grow into the full blown

version of Photoshop, but Elements should be more than enough for you right now and

won't be as overwhelming in cost or learning curve. Lightroom is easier to grasp and will

allow you both "editing" and "processing"..... a LOT of people are using it and loving it.

"Hopefully my last question...where is a good place to go to compare all these products and

hopefully talk to a knowledgeable sales person? Is there such a place?"<p>

Download the trial versions and try them out yourself with your own images on your own

computer. That will be the best test. Software will run differently on different machines and

by trying it yourself using your own images, you'll get a true feel for whether or not you are

comfortable with the application or not. If there is no trial version available, I usually don't

bother with the software. Almost all good apps have trial versions. And sales people are

usually not in tune with photographer's needs.

Seems like most people here are not useing lightroom only a couple reccomendations. It is a new program, If they tried it in IMO no one would talk about anything else. It is the best value and fastest most logical program to use. Photoshop is still needed for creative editing, but for your raw workflow, WB, color correction editing it is the only way to go. The learning curve is way less than photoshop and the speed of editng, cropping, tweaking one or multiple images at a time is blistering fast over PS. It has saved me hours over working with bridge/PS. Aperture is a close second but I would go with Lightroom - I think it is still only $200.00 going up to $300.00 next month.

Elizabeth,

My copy of PSE4 came with some hardware, and I don't need it, so it is yours if you want it.

Look closely at what Steve D. said - LR is very intuitive and much easier to use than PS or PSE. I only open about 10% of my images in PS after I'm done in LR.

If you are a student, or have school age kids, you can get the education version of LR for $105.

Elizabeth,<p>

You're correct that having Photoshop or not doesn't necessarily mean you are a "pro" or not. BUT...every professional photographer I know has it (LEGALLY) and uses it constantly. It's THE standard for professional work. Period. That said, I'm using Lightroom pretty heavily these days. But I still use Photoshop every single day.<p>

If you can't afford the full brand new Photoshop CS3, then you really should consider purchasing (legally), Photoshop Elements.... OR ... better than that (now that I think about it), you can probably find an older version of Photoshop CS2, CS, or 7 that would probably be better than Elements.<p>

In any case, the sooner you start using and learning Photoshop the better off you will be. Eventually, you WILL need it (if you continue to be a photographer that is).<p>

If you don't have the money for any of those options, then you what are you doing for your other requirements... equipment, lab fees, marketing materials, insurance, etc... A serious business venture requires some serious expenses. I wouldn't recommend going into debt, but you do need to consider that you need to make INVESTMENTS into your business if you want to be successful.

I've not read the EULA for PSE4, but I assume it is legal to give a copy (unused and un-registered)away that was bundled with hardware? (Not the ideal place for the question, but fits with previous posts, including my offer to Elizabeth)

Any thoughts?

Didn't read all the posts so I may be reiterating, my apologies if I am. I have both photoshop

cs2 and aperture. If you are doing basic edits, adjusting WB and exposure for the whole

image its great, anythign more complicated it exports to photoshop nicely. Rarely do I do any

edits outside of aperture. Aperture is great for organizing. In the end all the upper level

programs are about the same. I woudl suggest downloading trial versions and seeing how

they work for you.