polaroid transfers

im just getting into polaroid transfers using 669 as a test for a project using

59 5x4 film - read lots of different angles on the net - i'm limited to using

'live' transfer - no enlarger or processor.

i've tried a few different ways - - i'll post the results here - images are

pretty crap but just trying to get to grips with the best way - first i tried a

dry transfer to quite textured paper - the emulsion was like chewing gum and

left hardly any result (image 1) most pictures were pulled after about 10 secs

and rolled and left for around 2 mins before peeling slowly off.

next i tried a more smooth, tight weave paper which gave better results -

fairly clear image but getting some emulsion pulled away (which can look good

but trying to figure out so i can choose to do that or not) (image 2/3)

i tried to damp the paper (image 4)which produced a nice flat image but a big

chunk pulled off - i read that one technique is to pull the whole thing while

submerged (5) but as you can see it mostly dissolved and wouldnt adhere to the card.

image 6 used some flash so that i could see what colours would be like....i

squeezed the excess water from the previously submerged paper and used that damp

paper - most of the emulsion peeled but there was a residual image as you can

see - i like it but how could i have kept more of the image on paper?

Can anyone help with any pointers to keeping more of the emulsion on the paper?

and any other general tips?

many thanks,

danny<div>00KnqO-36076384.jpg.8254283177666eb6707737dedf419ad5.jpg</div>

I find that I need an electric skillet and two trays of room temperature water. The first thing I do is put a piece of Contact paper on the back of the Polaroid print. Then I put it in the electric skillet which is set for 160 degrees and keep it there for about 4 minutes. You will be able to see when the emulsion starts to bubble. Meanwhile, I soak the sheet of paper that it will be put onto in one of the trays of water. When the emulsion has quite a few bubbles, I move it over to the second tray of water and start to work at loosening the emulsion from the back of the print. After I have about 80% of it loose, I start moving it to a sheet of clear film that is larger than the image so that what was the upper surface of the picture is against the film. Once I get it all on the clear film, I take the paper out of the other tray, turn the clear film/image over, and put the image on the paper. They are both wet and you can move the image around. Once I have it where I want it, I use a very soft roller (brayer) to squeeze the excess water out. Be very gentle and start in the middle and roll to the edges. Set it aside for a day to dry and you are done.

Part of the look of these transfers is the fact that they do peel off during the process. I have found that if you just go very slow, or if you notice its not adhering try a different side. The best method for either the image/emulsion transfer is definelty prewet the paper. The guy that posted before me is on the right track. You dont necessairily have to use a brayer for the emulsion transfer though, if you just let the wet print sit and dry for a day it should be ok.

Dont limit yourself to just paper either, these things will stick to just about anything if you let them dry.

Zach