but, that's not going to happen - for sure (they have to sell their VR

lenses). Nikon also claims that in-lens VR is much more superior than in-

camera VR - any views on that?

I know many bought Sony Alpha just as a 2nd/3rd body - even though they are

Nikon users for years. If you are a landscape photographer and live in the

wild for long, anti-dust technology is a must. I can live w/o in-camera VR -

as long as I can buy those expensive VR lenses. Is Nikon even paying attention

to these customer demands?

Actually the current anti-dust technology is still pretty much a gimmick. It doesn't give you 100% dust immunity at all. I think there's a site somewhere that done the test, I forgot where.

Won't a good blower clean your CCD? I think with something weather-proof like D200 and providing that you don't switch lenses so often when you are in the field, dust won't be much a problem, no?

I for one would rather have even more generous optical viewfinder performance. A big and clear OVF, now that's a feature.

VR built into the camera cannot be optimized for the lens. For example, a telephoto will require greater compensation since it magnifies vibrations more, while a short lens would need much smaller/finer movements to correct the same amount of shake. It would be difficult to make a sensor-shift VR approach which can accurately compensate for such a wide variation of movements.

On the other hand VR built into the camera would be nice, especially for those still using older manual lenses. Imagine a 50/1.2 with VR. Even if it's only a 2-stop gain, that's would make a pretty impressive low-light shooter.

As for other new features, I heard that Nikon is planning to release a line of "AG" telephotos with Anti-Gravity technology so they aren't so heavy. Combined with VR it entirely removes the need for a tripod. Don't expect it to appear soon however...

Where do you get the idea that anti-dust technology is a must for anyone photographing in the wild? I've been to some pretty dusty places and changed my lenses with impunity with only an occasional puff from a blower. No problems. What are your friends doing that is causing so much trouble from dust that an (apparently useles) anti-dust system is necessary?

Anti-gravity is a nice concept - I will love to have those lenses!!!

It's interesting to see that many don't think dust is a major problem for current DSLRs - may be I am doing something wrong. I will love to know some best practices here. I change lenses a lot in the outdoor - probably I need to be more cautious in doing that. Looks like only Olympus has somewhat effective dust removal system (from the link that Evan provided - thanks!)

Air blower or wet cleaning works - but prevention is always better than cure. I dont like to operate my camera too often - specially during the middle of the day. Anyone like me here?

Here is a link from Nikon where they claim that in-lens VR is much better than in-camera VR

http://nikonimaging.com/global/technology/vr/index.htm

The arguments make sense - but I have read good reviews of in-camera VR so far.

More questions:

1. How is Nikon's noise reduction at higher ISO - compared to others? It was always a problem

2. What about a ISO changing control on the body? (not buried in the menu)

3. Bigger viewfinder

4. Mirror lockup (does D200 already have it?)

5. Low ISO option (50 ?)

etc etc..

Too much "demands"

I usually shoot medium format for landscape but my D200 has no serious dust problems. A couple puffs from a Giotto Rocket works out ok. A magnetized artist paint brush (rub it across a piece of wool) will lift off specks also if you can see them. I am glad my D200 does not vibrate like a washing machine but I am sure Nikon will make whatever they think the market will accept. I think there is room to bust into the digital rangefinder market. Pro/Am quality and much cheaper than the Leica M8 if that is possible. If it would accept the SB600 type flash, I bet many Nikon folks and others would be interested.

The tests of self cleaning I have read rate them only fair at the best and Olympus is far ahead of the others. In other words they don`t work.

To change lenses, turn camera off. Place lens down and remove. and have the new one oriented and ready to go on. Use caps to keep lens rears clean. Work inside the camera bag if outside or in a large plastic bag if conditions are really terrible.

I use a 18/70 and just leave it on my Nikon most of the time.

If you change lenses outside, you will eventually get dirt inside. There is no way to stop it. 18/70 is my solution. Others pick 18/135 or 18/200. Others use two bodies and never change lenses.

Arnab:

To answer a few of your questions:

1. "How is Nikon's noise reduction at higher ISO - compared to others?"

Are you talking about in-camera NR application, or the noise/high ISO performance of the camera? I think both depend on which camera you're talking about. I assume you're asking about how noisy it is in high ISO? The newer version of DSLR (eg. D80) has better high noise performance than D200. I think D80 comes very close (if not equal) to Canon DSLR in terms of high ISO/noise performance. But I never felt I'm troubled with noise performance from both, especially if you have a third party Noise reduction software installed.

2. "What about a ISO changing control on the body? (not buried in the menu)"

With either D80 or D200, you can change ISO very easily. Although the buttons on D80 are "shared" but when you're in shooting mode, they are not really shared so you still just need to press and hold and rotate the dial. Easy. But only D200 has dedicated hard buttons for ISO. I personally think the ISO button on D80 is more handy, since it's just on the back of camera, not on top like D200.

3. "Bigger viewfinder"

D80's viewfinder = D200's viewfinder. Both big and bright enough, but you'll never get enough of big viewfinder. the bigger the better :)

Although for critical manual focusing with fast MF lens, you'll probably still need to rely on the "green dot" focus confirmation, since I personally think the viewfinder is not big and clear enough for focusing with my eye only (without green dot). Well, you can, but then it might need a few attempts and might take time to focus. But green dot is more accurate than relying on the optical viewfinder.

4. "Mirror lockup (does D200 already have it?)"

Yes, but not D80. D80 got exposure delay - if minimising shutter vibration is what you got in mind.

5. "Low ISO option (50 ?)"

Nope. 100 is very good already, seriously.

For other questions, well, do more research or download the manual or something. :) Hope that helps a bit.

Oh - about the so called "dust removal system" found in DSLRs, unless they developed a new generation of DSLR equipped with micro laser hand near the sensor that can detect and zap the dust to dust... errr, well not dust, but from dust to atom particle, I wouldn't pay so much attention to it. :)

""""I wonder what were the demands of the photographers of the 70's and 80's ..?

I'm pretty sure that w/o the internet everything was more about taking pictures back then... :/"""""

The internet has certainly changed communications. But I was a photographer/hobbyist in the 70's and 80's and you would be suprised. People joined clubs, spent time at the camera store looking at stuff/chatting about the camera's. You would go to the camera store to get advice from the guy at the counter many times. People took camera courses and generally hung around with people of like interest. Normal human nature. Artists such as Ansel or Weston certainly sat around sharing a beer and discussed lenses, camera's, paper and technique with friends. People have always wanted to see and talk about the new camera's/equipment and what they could do. Camera's changed a lot back then with improving features, metering, auto focus etc. Of course Black and White photography was very big because the greats used it and it was something you could manage at home. Photography has certainly changed now but I believe it is still very much about the image, at least for me it is. All around I would say photography is at it's greatest moment. There is such a variety of possibilities available to the photographer now it's amazing. Many people are shooting digital one day and film the next. The process to the completed image requires skill and equipment, and that is what many of these forums are about.

I think the bid difference in the 70's and 80's, even the 90's is that the cameras and lenses weren't "obsolete" after one or two years like it is now...

I used to have the same 35mm camera for 5 to 10 years at the time... you can still shooting today with a 30+ years old Nikormat with a 40+ years old Nikkor lens.

Today's talk is about when the D3H is coming out.. :/ ;)

Well..I think that my original post stirred a lot of discussion. My intention was to know what market is demanding as new features in next generation Nikon DSLRs. Manufacturers do the research and development based on market demand, not what they think is best - at least, that's the way it should be (Marketing 101!). Sometimes, we customers dont even know what to expect, sometimes we expect features that are beyond today's reach. All balance out by competition and technology - I wonder whether Nikon will continue to remain one of the top 2-3 brands in DSLRs, or someone like Sony or Panasonic will manage to displace it...but as loyal customers, we are entitled to "demand" - that's how the market works..is not it?

True, my FE2 is just as good now as when new. It will most likely be ready for anything in 20more years. I am hoping my D200 will be an excellent camera for many years also. I will not buy an improved version when it comes out. To much spending for me but it does seem that there are a lot of people that are busting at the seams to buy some new technology. I think Canon, Nikon will be leaders for a long time. I believe there will be a lot going out of business in the next 10 years for many companies. My kids and their friends seem to be happy with their cell phone camera's. Maybe it will just go that way for all but the enthusiastic photographer.