meeting with clients - go to them or come to you?

kaiyen

Hi all,

For those that have seen my recent posts, you know that I'm getting started this

summer. A quick question about meeting with clients - do you go to them, have

them come to you, or try to meet somewhere in between?

When I met with photographers for my wedding, we met at locations closer to them

(our wedding was about 1.5 hours away, so a couple of those meetings were up

towards the wedding location). Right now, in order to build a sense of customer

service, I am meeting them about half way. I would go even more towards them

but I'm getting a lot of requests from folks about an hour away, and that's a

long drive just to chat about possibly hiring me.

I am sure one reason why I'm getting these long-distance requests is my current

"getting started" price. I can't wait until I've got the 3-4 weddings under my

belt, feel more comfortable with my portfolio, and can get myself out of the

"budget" category. Even if that means fewer weddings (I do this as a side thing

because I like it, not because I explicitly need a side job).

What do you guys do?

allan

Each situation is different.

If you have a studio, unless you are in their area for another reason or THEY request it, they come to your studio.. that is where you have your slide show set up and your albums and (hopefully) some large prints on the wall.

If you are working out of your residence and you have a less than optimal situation (IOW 6 flights up in an apartment building with no elevator and a neighbor playing loud music) you will want to meet them somewhere else.

I have done it both ways.. Starbucks can be a great meeting place or Dunkin Donuts, but it will have its limitations.

I have an office and house where clients can meet me. Both are pin neat and the office is large with an area to view a DVD slide show on a large TV as well as a slide show with a screen. The studio area is also in my residence and it likewise neat and businesslike.

You are selling YOU as much as you are selling your photography. Many gret photographers fail in this business for a lack of ability to connect with people and sell themselves in addition to their product.

An image that looks successful will BE successful.

I always meet potential clients at my location. One exception was when I drove about a half-hour because the bride was pregnant and needed a break. She booked me on the spot.

<p>

It just takes too much effort and time to travel for every inquiry. That, and you can also usually give a better presentation when on your own turf. If a client is truly interested in your work then it should be no problem for them to come to you.

Thanks for the responses. Literally meeting at my place isn't an option - I don't have a studio, I don't have an "impressive" office in my small apartment, etc. But I have no problem at all meeting at a Starbucks or something like that. That has worked before. But the question is whether I meet with them at a Starbucks that is convenient for me or one that is convenient for them.

Seems like I should ask them to come to me.

And I completely agree on the point about the ability to connect with the client. So far, I feel that I have been good enough at just over the phone that such that I could ask them to come to me and they would. At which point I feel I am still good enough at connecting that they like what they see. But that's not what I'm asking. I'm just asking about meeting locations :-)

allan

I think they should come to you, either 'your' starbucks or your office, whichever is applicable.

Unfortunately the fact that you don't 'need' this means that you wind up being a little too accommodating :-) If you were really lean and hungry you simply couldn't afford to travel to every prospective client. I'm not sure that 'lean and hungry' is a good look, as Sandra says a look of success inspires further success, however *thinking* lean and hungry can make you make good business decisions.

If meeting them at your place isn't possible at all, and you don't have a studio location, then how about the Starbucks option you mentionned but with something special?

The idea may sound a little bit bizarre but... Find a quiet little coffee shop. Go there regularly, get to know the staff, talk to them. Ask if they would be interested in encouraging a local photographer by putting up some of your work on the walls (you will provide large prints, mounted and all that at your expense (not the wedding stuff of course). Tell them you would be interested in bringing friends once in a while to show them your work and have a coffee. More business for them on occasion, more visibility for you all the time - your coordinates can be in small print at the bottom of the frames. And why not sell them as well? You could give a percentage of the sales to the coffee shop.

Basically what you create this way is an environment where the client will see you interact with people that know you because you are a regular. Although not related to weddings they'll also have the chance to discover some of your other work in a relaxed and friendly environment (great way to start conversations about what you do - but also bring your wedding portfolio).

As far as driving long distances for your clients I would advise against it. Customer service is always important but you don't want to go too far. Not only is it your time (money) but it's also an expense - gas, car (more of your money) and that's all coming out of your pocket (unless you charge for it). You could spend that time and money on marketing instead which is where most of your time should be spent.

My personnal opinion is that even though you'll probably do anything at this point to get new clients (the excitement of starting out), it's probably better to gradually build a portfolio and market your best work so clients are impressed and want to come to you (instead of going broke, hoping to pay it back later with future work). If you are a bit cheaper (talking about your rate) and have an excellent portfolio, they will drive the distance because they want you to do the job. As Sandra said, YOU are part of the package you are selling.

Every time we have bent over backwards and travelled TO a client for a meeting they have

A) not shown up, B) cancelled at the VERY last minute (like, as we were getting out of our

car), or C) not paid any attention to us the entire time because they were dealing with

personal/home issues. Most importantly: they have NEVER, EVER booked us.

Before we had a studio we picked ONE location that was centrally located, quiet, comfy,

and welcoming. ANYONE who wanted to meet us had to come there. From those

meetings, we enjoyed a nearly 100% booking rate.

I think that when people have to put in some effort to meet with you, it shows that they

WANT you. It shows that they felt like you were important enough to get off their behinds

and walk out the door. The fact that you are also at your meeting place, on time, with a

smile on your face, says the same thing to them.

It's important to establish yourself as the professional from the get-go. You must lay the

groundrules for how you do business, or your clients will begin dictating that for you.

When I was just starting out, I drove to the most convenient location for my clients. Since I've become an established wedding photographer, unless the client is within 10 miles of my home studio, I ask the client to come to me. To put this in perspective, , a few months ago I was asked to drive from Pasadena to Long Beach (45 minutes) to meet a couple who was interested in my least expensive package. I asked them to meet me in Pasadena but they declined saying that another photographer had agreed to meet them in Long Beach. They indicated that they preferred my work and would like me to drive there. They mentioned that if they didn't like him they might still call me back. We never did meet and they picked the other photographer. I have no regrets because I already have 19 other weddings booked for the rest of 2007. But if I was just starting out, I'd almost certainly have made that drive. So how hungry are you?

Thanks again for the input. I'm hungry, but I didn't mean to say I'm _that_ hungry, or that this being a side thing means that I'm not trying to do this "the right way." After all, that's why I'm asking the question. I want to set the right tone, after all.

I think I might pick a couple of locations, due to the nature of the bay area. One on the east bay (only 10 minutes from my place), one by my place (5 minutes), and one on the peninsula (that might be more like 20 minutes). All relatively close, and all familiar areas.

I like the idea of trying to get my work up on the walls. I turn a coffeeshop into my office and studio, in essence.

allan

I invite my clients to come to my place if they want information.

Our home is 'busy'...My wife is a hairdresser/makeupartist and does her 'business' actually in our livingroom. We have alot of exchange-students coming in/out of our place, people from the States, Belgium, Brasil, Australia....

We hold rats in our livingroom...like 16 of them. As pets, but in cages :)

I have alot of framed photographs hanging at the walls...and have quit a few albums laying around...

Our coffeemachine is constantly running.

Last week my son had a barbeque going in our backyard, together with some friends. I had a meeting with a b&g in our livingroom, my wife was cutting someones hair 7 feet away...

After the meeting they stayed for like 4 hours...having fun..ate some meat..had some drinks.

There is no distinction between my private/personal life and my photography business...I am just myself.

Oh and did I mention I got the job from the b&g mentioned above?

Hi Allan,

Another thing to consider is that many potential

clients are often meeting with several other photographers

on the same day so anything you can do to fit into

their schedule (within reason) might be helpful.

If I were to meet them at the event location or Starbuck's

I would be sure to get their cellphone and reconfirm on the way that they will be there so you don't waste a trip.

I have them come to me.

If they invest time in travel to meet with me then I know they're seriously giving me a chance.

(note: this is a luxury I can afford so I understand those who need to make other plans as they grow their business)

I'd say it depends on the situation. For the most part I think the advice already stated is fine.

For me, I live in the distant Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. 95% of my clients are in and around D.C. or Baltimore. My home office is on average an hour away from my clients. For that reason, I commute into the city for meetings. I bunch them together if possible to minimize my travel. I've worked out "zones" for my branch Starbucks offices. If the client is in Baltimore, I meet in the Columbia area. If they are in DC, I meet in Silver Spring. If they are in VA, I meet in Arlington.

"Most importantly: they have NEVER, EVER booked us."

That's definitely not the case for me.

My booking rate is not stellar, around 65%. But then again, I'm a bit casual and unusual, so I think 65% is very good. It's almost the same rate that I approve of my couples. :) I don't push for the sale, and I almost never book on the initial meeting. It's just a conversation. After the meeting, I don't follow up either.

A word of caution.. My market is very good. I'm sure a photographer in Weatherford, Texas will have to be much more business minded. I read Jeff Hawkins' wedding photography books, and they made me sick. I'm really not about the business. I don't want to be a salesman; I want to practice my art. For that reason, I don't solely rely on photography for my income. That let's me be more relaxed about it. I've found though, that this attitude is working well enough to support me if it had to, and every year is better than the last.

Also, I feel like if I'm asking the client to meet me in a Starbucks, I can't expect them to drive an hour or more in DC traffic.

I'm comfortable with my arrangement, and it's no different than driving to work every day. If it wasn't working, I'd have to clean up my office, God forbid. :)

When I was in a situation where I could not meet clients at my home...

I met the couples in a really nice upscale hotel lobby. Most hotels won't have a clue you are not a guest there. But - if that makes you feel uncomfortable...by all means ask permission. Tell them it will be good exposure for the hotel for out of town guests for the wedding. In my case, the hotels knew me so well - they'd even send someone over to us to ask if we wanted coffee or tea. ;-) Made a nice impression. Find a hotel that is willing to work with you. Some hotels are "business oriented" and are not busy during weekends. They'd be very happy to have you. Just as an aside so you know I'm pretty sure of my idea.. I have two friends who are GM's of upscale hotels so I kind of know how especially the upscale places work.

Mary - that's an interesting idea. I know someone at the Four Seasons that just opened up, too...

Thanks again for the advice. I think I have a good game plan. Fortunately, this last couple agreed to meet me down closer to me (at my "east bay" location), so that's a good sign that they are committed and serious about giving me a shot.

allan