EOS LINK Software ES-E1 - where to buy?

miklosphoto

EOS Magazine have just published their annual guide to all things EOS, and this is listed as discontinued. You could understand this if Canon had also discontinued the 1V, but that hasn't happened - yet! The ES-E1 kit is the only way to get access to the personal functions that make it possible to fine-tune the 1V, and it is also the only way to download image info, so not being able to get it any more does significantly limit the capabilities of that very fine camera. You'll have to look out for it s/h, and you may see the beginnings of the FD-to-EOS converter effect on prices at auction.

Don't be nervous about buying an early copy. The cable hasn't changed, but the software has been updated. Download the latest software. Put the CD from the ES-E1 kit in your drive BUT DON'T ALLOW IT TO RUN. Run the downloaded updater. It will recognise the CD as a 'key disk' and give you a clean install of the updated version.

That was back in 2003. I didn't know it was discontinued.<br> It's a pity because it is really a nice feature to have. I used to walk around with a little notebook to take notes of most of my shots in order to be able to exam them afterwards (just for improving). Since I have the software I don't need it anymore.<p> the only thing I am afraid of is that probably in 5 five years time the software will be completely useless because there will be no informatic platform that support it. I've heard that this program does not run under Windows vista, can you imagin what the situation will be in 5-7 years?<p> cheers<br>Luis

Luis, your point about Vista is worth bearing in mind. The part of the ES-E1 software that manages the database of shooting information might well run uner Vista, but there is also a driver for the connection to the camera, and that is very likely to be a problem. The current version is fine under XPSP2. The chances of Canon writing a Vista driver are, I would have thought, pretty slim, although there might still be enough 1V users out there to make them think about it. If they are not prepared to, then perhaps they could be persuaded to put the existing software source code into the public domain - I doubt if the freeware community would have much problem putting a driver together on that basis.

• 2 months later...

I've looked for this on and off (mostly off) for years with no luck. Does anyone know how to find it at B&H or somewhere else?

The next best thing since the software is available is to find out what kind of cable I need. Can anyone tell me what is special about the interface cable, or is it just a firewire or something? I don't have my 1VHS camera with me right now or I'd try to look myself (on vacation).

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Regards, Jim

• 2 years later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I've been desperately looking for the software and the cable with no luck. Saw a mention that perhaps the software is available for download? Anyone able to post a link? Also-- if anyone has ANY leads as to where I could buy the cable (and software) it'd be much appreciated!<br>

Thanks, Juli</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...