First timer ( C&C requested )

mark_parker2

I just posted my FIRST wedding for your comments and critiques.

<br>

<br>

I did this FIRST wedding as a freebie just to practice for the 6 paid weddings that I have booked this

summer. <Br>

<br>

I had a few things going against me on this one.

<br><br>

1. The wedding was "last minute ".

<br>

2. Older couple.

<br>

3. Bride and daughter were Russian and spoke no english. Made the posing near impossible.

<br>

4. Ceremony was Mennonite (Amish) and a little "different".

<br>

5. The church was extremely challenging regarding lighting. It was a converted BBQ restaurant. Very Dark.

Dark Ceiling. Surrounded by very bright windows on all sides.

<br>

6. There were a couple shot's that I totally screwed up. I left the blurry images in the show because I felt

they were needed to tell the whole story.

<br><br>

Anyway, enough excuses. Here's the URL

<br>

<a href="http://www.markparker.us/slideshow"> www.markparker.us/slideshow </a>

<br>

<br>

P.S. I posted it on a freebie Godaddy server because my regular server is bandwidth challenged.

I'll start by saying it's very easy to criticize. Having done only one wedding I feel your pain. Most of the shots have a nice peaceful quality that I like. On the negative side some of the backgrounds are distracting. I think you did well and you'll only get better.

The first part of the pictures seemed really tightly cropped, making it hard for the couple to get different size prints. Leave a little more room. It seems like you have trouble positioning people in the frame, they're either to one side, without anything signficant on the other side, or too tight. It's something you'll get better at with time, but practice, practice, practice. Overall it was good for your first wedding.

I am laughing because I thought the groom was the father of the bride. She is very pretty for an 'older' woman :)

I think your main thing to work on is a wider aperture, so that the restrooms and bulletin boards aren't showing. I am sure a lot of cropping would solve that problem too.

Mark, I'm no expert but like to try critiquing occassionally. Some things to think about for the next one -

Near the start some shots look like you were too short in relation to them - try and shoot from higher up.

Would have liked to see more full length shots especially of bride. Some shots cut of the sides of the couple too much. Many had too much room at the top of the photo while cutting off bottom half of bodies -(I used to do this alot and still have to conciously try not to. #36 I may have liked better without the flowers in front of the shot. and the bouquet toss would have been good with some horizontals.

Overall, I'm sure they loved them. You got some nice moments and expressions and the reception room didn't look as bad as you describe (you made it look very nice). -Maybe you could lighten those a bit more?

Love your music choice!

Zdravstvuite,

Mark I think that you did a great job shooting your first wedding.

Just a quick critique I think with number 9 of the bride near the mirror, you should of got her looking at herself in the mirror.

Also, keep looking at bridal magazines etc, to help you with your composition.

Emily

There are a couple of photos with EXIT signs in the background. A few moments in photoshop would take the signs out and offer the couple a more elegant photo.

When outdoors (the bouquet toss) try to encourage the participants to avoid backgrounds that have telephone poles and wire running across the top of the image.

You mentioned the lighting and there's a few out of focus but the fact that you made this work in a short time is a wonderful thing for you and the bridal couple. Congrats!!