New Gary Fong flash 'thing'. Any opinions?

jim_coba2

Gary Fong has some new kind of flashdiffuser. It's called the Whaletail. I

wanted to order a Lightsphere and now I see this on his site.

See: http://store.garyfonginc.com/wt.html

It's only out there for a week so I expect no hands-on experience reports, but

nonetheless any opinions? If you thought the LS was ugly, wait and see this. I

just want to have something to use on location indoors for portraits (most

BW). Up till now I use a folded business card with a rubber band. It works ok

but I could do better. This Whaletail thing is not cheap (99 USD) and you can

also order accessory gels in 4 colors, but I don't need/want that, as that's

way to artificial for me.

Do any of you think I should go for the Whaletail, or just stick to a LS?

Thanks.

Jim - I have tried most of the flash modifiers including the Lumiquest Softbox,Omnibounce, Big bounce and the Stofen omni bounce. They all work well to some degree. I purchased a Lightphere II last year but tend not to use it any more as on the SB800 it seems rather large and unweildy. The weight of the LS II tends to make the flash head drop. And to be honest - i dont see any great improvement. I wouldnt rush into buying it - it looks a little gimmicky...

The phrase " Laughing all the way to the bank" comes to mind.

As far as Ron Popiel is concerned, I should have his money, and he should spend

every beautiful Summer Saturday sweating out a wedding : -)

Enough with the "Fong Flash" devices already, they're piling up on the shelf ... every time

Canon changes their flash design, another couple go to flash modifier heaven.

I ordered a LS PJ form Gary Fong, it works just ok when shooting wide open, but other than

that the built in white card on my SB800 works just as well. He coes out with a new

attachment / color correction device / chrome dome thing every few months to keep people

buying his stuff over and over. I regret spending the $40+ I did on the LS. For $80-100 for

the Whale thing you'd have to be crazy.

I'm surprised he hasn't started the late night infomercials!

Grab a plastic milk just, cut the opening, rubberbank it to your flash, it's a BIGGER diffuser and works better.. of course you'll look like the ultimate dork walking around with a 1/2 or full gallon of milk container on your flash.. oh, and it's lighter!

When The lightsphere (#2 I think) came out, there was a lot of talk about it, so I bought one. I really liked it! Then he came out with the LSPJ, so I bought it. Then the clear and cloudy verson.... I started to get skeptical. Then the different tops for them.... Well, I fell for this one and orderd a few tops and was disapointed. Now this....

I really do like my LSPJ. (But, it wasn't really different from my Lightsphere II). I use my lightsphere all the time. But, enough is enough. Now he is looking very gimmicky and money hungry. It is one thing to develop somthing good, that a lot of people like and use with success, and even then to modify it a little.... But, come on... does it need to be modified this many times? Do we need to keep buying all is gadgets? I'm sure the new one works fine, but I doubt it will be a big improvement over the two other light spheres I already have.

Gary is starting to give himself a bad name....

Wow, I thought we had tall poppy syndrome badly in NZ, you guys are harsh!

It looks like it would do a great job. Is it a vast improvement over the lightsphere? Probably not but if I was buying another flash and needed another diffuser I'd probably buy it. I really like the lightsphere and this does seem like an upgrade. Not enough of an upgrade to make me ditch my LS but an upgrade nevertheless.

While the better bounce card (and its cousin, the business card and rubber band) are actually quite effective, have a look at this little item.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/diffuser/

I bought one, loved it and bought 2 more so that I have one for each of my 3 flashes. Yes it is sort of like the business card/rubber band or the better bouncecard, except that it is more "elegant" and easier to use and to carry. At $29.95 it is a very inexpensive accessory.

By the way, I own 2 different models of Fong Lightsphere. As others have said, looks particularly stupid, a royal pain in the *ss to carry and always seems to fall off of the flash. Oh - and it doesn't work particularly well either.!

Well I admit it, I too became a Lightsphere "collector" and have more than one version. I will not admit how many, lest I should hear clicking tongues out there ;-) I recently was amused watching Peter Gregg make his "A Better Bounce Card". I made one, (with the recommended foam sheet) did some comparison tests and like it quite well. The results of the two are almost identical, very little variance in my tests. I have looked at the Demb Flip It online, and you know I think Fong's Whale Tail has been modeled somewhat on that design which I find very interesting. I also saw Gary demo it at WPPI. I started to ask him about the apparent specular light and he anticipated my question, finished it for me, admited it in at least one configuration and then showed how to position the "tail" and it's flaps to avoid that. But again, to me it seems like a plastic Flip It with a few more "bells and whistles". I do like the way it attaches to the flash however, a much better design in that regard anyway. So, alas and alac I will continue to use my Lightsphere(s)and my bounce card as I have no other options right now.

it is most useful for people who don't know how to use flash in the first place.

gary fong has my respect as a marketer, but not as a photographer.

most people who can figure out how to bounce will do better in all situations except for when they absolutely cannot bounce at all...