F100 compatibility with AI /AIS lenses

simon_fallon

Basically, is it?? I recently bought a mint secondhand F80 and was very very

very very VERY p....d off to discover that all metering functions are lost when

coupling an AI or AIS lens to the body-Nikon UK told me that "..virtually all

manual lenses will work on the F80.." Hmm, they obviously have a more elastic

interpretation of "work" than I do. As always, grateful for all responses.

Simon Fallon.

Thanks for the speedy response guys. Shun, you've told me all I need to know. It's odd though that Nikon don't actually seem to understand that backward compatibility with their film cameras/lenses has always been one of the main jewels in their crown- for me, the fact that I can use my treasured old manual lenses on a F100 would be one of the main reasons to buy it. Radford, you are of course correct. I already own an F90X but in comparison to the newer, more ergonomically shaped cameras it handles, in my opinion, like a brick. I also miss the creative opportunities afforded by multiple exposure facility (which the F90X doesn't offer) and, occasionally, auto bracketing would be a Godsend. And yes, I did try fitting an MF26 back to my F90X to provide these features but IMHO it was a strong contender for the title of Most Fiddly, Infuriating And Least User-Friendly Accessory Of All Time. I still have nightmares...

Simon - WJ is correct, I own the F4 and it will matrix meter with any AI or AIS lens. I have done it. I also own the F100 and it will not matrix meter with those lenses. I am sorry that you got the F80 and found that it would not matrix meter. Can you get a refund, or, sell it yourself, even if you have to take a loss, and you can pick up a good condition F4 for very little these days. I bought a mint F4 so mine was a little more expensive and I wanted the "mint" condition, but I think if you are careful, you can find a good condition F4 for around $200 US, or less, no kidding. Kind regards, Debra

The F4 is a decent alternative if one is keen on matrix metering (and also offers Aperture Direct Readout in v'finder). Having been reared on center-weight I'm quite comfortable with it and, in fact, often prefer it to matrix under challenging light. Mind you the MF-23 Data Back will be necessary for bracketing on the F4, which is approx one-third again the cost of the body. My vote goes with the F100.

WJ, to be honest (and I hate to sound like a wimp) the weight of an F4 is a bit daunting for a general, all purpose camera that could be round my neck for several hours. Its size also draws attention to the photographer - bad news for candid street photography here in paranoid London Town. These were just a couple of the reasons that the dainty little F80 appealed to me.

Debra, I shall indeed try to sell it on as you suggest - shouldn't be difficult. I didn't realise that the F4 "matrixed" with ai/ais lenses; this, and the fact that the F4 actually has a threaded cable release make it a more tempting proposition than I had thought. But to be honest, matrix metering isn't really a priority, spot and/or CW will be fine (the F80 offers none at all with manual lenses). Also the F4 is now getting on a bit which increases the chances of a secondhand one giving problems when you least want it to!

Lily, on balance I agree with you. Just a couple of years ago it might have been different because price would have prevented me buying even a used F100. However, they are now available at such low prices even here in the UK that I should probably have just done this in the first place. Ah well, live and learn.

Heartfelt thanks to all of you who've responded, great to hear from you guys. Warmest Regards, Simon Fallon.