TLR weights -- light models?

julian_goresko

All of them?

I would guess the Mamiya C-series would be the heaviest.

The Rolleiflex is the 'standard.' Rolleicords are slightly smaller and lighter. Perhaps a

Yashicamat 124G? But, to me, the differences are too negligible to discuss. I would get the

one that had the features/characteristics you need. Is there a specific reason why a few

ounces would make such a difference?

I would rate a Rolleiflex at the top for handling and functionality, followed by a Yashica 124, which is not as well executed. TLRs are intended to be used hand-held. Most are awkward, at best, on a tripod since you have to look through the top. Secondly, a light camera is not necessarily easier to hold steady. Witness the use of a P&S camera vs a DSLR or a small DV camera compared to an ENG model.

All <abbr title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbr> are very good for hand-holding. Even the Heavy Mamiya <abbr title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbr> are not inconvenient, as the weight steadies the camera and will allow pretty slow shutter speeds. In fact, I find it easier to work with than the regular Rolleicord-style cameras because of the inertia.

The Mamiya c33 is a heavyweight, but no electronics of any kind and well made. I think mine is from the sixties. The bellows and camera body are mar-free, the lens is a bit slow on the lower shutter speeds, no problem, I just close the f-stop up to compensate. This Image shows the C33 under close inspection from my home security system.<div>00KfVN-35908984.jpg.eaf9470406965e11c4a5f0dbdd85d3df.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...

Hi! I used and have proven the value of the Yashica MAT 124G...opering from -30F to + 30F..hand held to 1/4 sec...quality optics, 120 or 220 film, close-up lenses & filtres.

Used my C330ProS hand held as well...even with the 180mm lens on it..nothing below 1/60sec. close-ups & low speeds require a Good tripod & a cable release. I use a Benbo Mk 2.

richard

• 6 months later...
Any of these cameras require some care with choosing straps and how they are carried. I can remember Louise Dahl-Wolfe having to quit carrying her Rolleis when they wore down the spinous processes on a couple of her cervical vertebrae. I have a C330s and C220f and they are really very heavy to walk around with, whether shoulder or neck strapped. The little Japanese TLR's or the Rolleicords are more practical for that.