top lenses to choose for nikon d80 price not an issue..!

vincent_daly

Hello fellow photography enthusiasts.

I'm new to this hobby,recently bought nikon d80 with 18-135 kit lens.

Am bit confused with the amount of choice on which additional lens/lenses to

buy.

Was thinking of 1, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor (mainly

due to great reviews)great all rounder by all accounts and should save on lens

changes

2, 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (or f/1.4) ?

3, Not sure of third choice ???

any advice would be greatly appreciated, will be using camera for portraits,

holiday snaps ,architecture ,landscape etc.

please feel free to disagree with my selections so far. will be looking for 3

more lenses to add to my kit to cover most scenarios. don't worry about

price..would like lenses to have af option to make use of this fantastic slr's

options.thanking you in advance. Vincent daly dublin Ireland

Vincent, I have owned 30 different Nikon lenses over the years but none of those you mentioned. I can tell you which lenses I like, but most likely it'll have little to do with your type of photography.

I suggest you use your current 18-135mm zoom for a few weeks and determine for yourself what is missing; it could be a super wide, long tele, macro, a fast f1.4/1.8 lens .... Only you can decide what works for you. There is no one lens that everybody must get. For example, I have never owned any 50mm Nikon lens in 30 years.

"Only you can decide what works for you."

Shun

Thanks for your reply. it's exciting for me having so much to learn about photography. just thought there were some good all rounders to cover most situations. am not talking of big zoom lens for sports or fisheye type lens. i will do as you say before splashing out any more money. thanks again.

Nikkor 500/4

Nikkor 200-400/4 VR

Nikkor 200/2 VR

Nikkor 200/4 micro (AF, ED version)

Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR (a great do everything lens)

Nikkor 105/2 DC (portraiture)

Nikkor 85/1.4 (sports)

Zeiss Planar ZF 85mm f/1.4 (portraiture)

Nikkor 85/2.8 PC micro

Zeiss Planar ZF 50mm f/1.4 (portraiture)

Nikkor 50/1.4 (sports)

Zeiss Distagon ZF 35/2

Nikkor 28-70/2.8

Zeiss Distagon ZF 25/2.8

Nikkor 17-55/2.8 DX

Nikkor 17-35/2.8

I only own two of these lenses, but from everything I've heard this is the list to die for and I hope to one day own many of them. BTW, this is a silly list for a D80, more appropriate for a couple of D2x camera bodies.

Vincent, when I bought my D70s a little under a year ago, it came with an 18-70mm kit lens. After I got over the initial thrill of reviving my school-day interest in photography with a DSLR (wow!) I found the lack of reach beyond 70mm a hindrance. As Shun says, and from my own experience, you'll eventually (if not quickly) 'feel' which ends of the focal length spectrum you're missing.

First chance I had (about 2 months later, as I recall) I traded in the kit lens for the 18-200mm you mentioned. Since then, that lens has, hands-down, been the one most often attached to my camera.

I was rarely left wanting, whether it was taking vacation photos in the street, of landscapes/buildings or at events indoors.

Over time, I added a 12-24mm for that 'true wide angle on a DX format camera'... though I admit that it's not seeing as much use now as I thought it might.

Then, I started noticing how at 200mm, I didn't have a fast enough lens for lowlight/indoor (stadium etc) photography... enter the 70-200VR

Then I thought.. "wouldn't it be nice if I could take photos of the eyes of dragonflies?"... cue, a 2nd hand 105mm Micro Nikkor.

Then, it was, "wouldn't it be fun to have a fast 50mm lens like my first foray into photgraphy, and have those wonderful cropped photos with nice bokeh etc..." (though, it's effectively a 75mm on the D70s) - enter please, the 50mm f/1.8.

As you can see... particularly if funds permit, you'll be able to add to your collection quite nicely. If I may suggest, let your own subject interest and needs determine the lens you get. I think other enthusiasts would then gladly help recommend lenses at that time.

Oh - for now though... why not fork out for an SB800 flash. You'll need that regardless what lens you're using for more flexible lighting. ;-)

Enjoy the journey!!!<div>00KgLE-35930184.jpg.193e1e9cc08a40f964933370c6fb2108.jpg</div>

If price was not an issue I would choose these:

12-24mm DX, 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S, 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR, 200-400mm AF-S VR

then

85mm f/1.4 AFD for portraits, Tamron 90mm or Nikkor 200mm f/4 for Macro

Nikkors: 28mm f/1.4 AFD and 50mm f/1.4 AFD for low light photography on the streets

If money is not an issue you have one less variable to consider. You may still want to consider/ discover other "issues": mainly: 1) personal taste and style (e.g. degree of softness for protraitures or wide story-telling pictures vs zoomed-in detailed aspects); and 2) convenience, size and weight (how much equipment you willing to lug around/ whether you can afford the time and effort to switch between lenses/ how strong your back is). Personally, I hope you buy all the lenses recommended here and if/when you decide to sell those you don't use, please let me know if it is a good deal ;)

Hi, Vincent. When you're new to photography, it's tempting to see the biggest zooms as the best choice. At this stage, you'll learn more if you stick to the 18-135, get used to it, play with the apertures, see the effects of using f3.5 and f16, find out where the big zoom works and where it doesn't. Work out why some photos are blurred and others aren't. Take some portraits, some street photos, talk to other photography fans.

<P>When you're past the new stage, you begin to see that the fastest zooms can do things the biggest zooms can't, because big apertures (f2.8, say) let you blur backgrounds in portraits and take photos in low light. So after a while, you start paying more attention to the f-numbers on zooms that the millimetres. In a year's time, say, you'll envy people with 16-50/f2.8s more than you will people with 18-200/3.5-5.6s, because you'll know the advantages of the f2.8. Then you'll meet someone taking amazing photos with just a 50mm/f1.8 or 50mm/f1.4 or with Sigma's 30mm/f1.4 and you'll wonder how they get by without any zoom and how they take such amazing photos in low light. In your shoes, my next lens would be a 50mm/1.8 or 50./1.4 for portraits and low light stuff. Also, putting a small light lens on your D80 gives it a very different feel from having a big zoom on it. It turns a people carrier into a sportscar. Try it and see.

thanks everyone think i'm more confused now. i think i just wanted someone to give me the top 3 lens i should buy and save me all this confusion. the reality is the more i realise how expensive some of the lenses on your wishlists are the more i have to come to terms that price is an issue. pity..

it's typical that i want to jump ahead without gaining the experience first.

thanks joe tarrant "In your shoes, my next lens would be a 50mm/1.8 or 50./1.4" you response was just what i needed to hear. i will stick with 18-135 for the moment and play around with aperture

thanks again

"just thought there were some good all rounders to cover most situations."

The lens you have sounds like a great "all rounder". Don't know what people think of its picture quality, but its got a pretty big range. film euivilant 28mm to 200 approximaely. Not too shabby. Use that for a couple of months only. Until you actually figure out a real need for a particular lens or quality, your basically just walking into a camera store with a blindfold on and randomly picking lenses. You have to see what like shooting, which may change over time, then you can start filling in with lenses. Right now I think you would be just wasting money.

Hi, Vincent. Glad you liked the advice. I don't own a 50mm myself - instead I have a tiny Nikon 45mm which I'm fond of. FYI: there's link to a review of the 50/1.4 at the bottom of the site's homepage. Just noticed it this evening. Everyone loves the 50mm lenses. You can't go wrong, esp with portraits.

<P>How're things in Dublin? I'm from Cork but haven't been back in Ireland in a while.

cheers joe appreciate the advice am bit impatient want to try different lenses. just read review of 50/1.4.. ta.

things are mad here in dublin, real rat race,dublin's expanding out into meath westmeath etc, was just thinking recently if anyone was away for a while they wouldn't recognise the place amount of building going on,skyline is dotted with tower cranes, celtic tiger still going strong,but for how long??? all in all still great place to live .

• 2 weeks later...