So, just what is so good about a Leica?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The consistent image quality as captured through great lenses. I don't use flash so low light rangefinder shooting works for me better than anything else. Finally, I'm a strong lefty, so the Leicavit/Rapidwinder attachment, without the bulk of a motor winder allows me to shoot and advance film without takeing my eye away from the viewfinder. You are not dependent on a battery. Reliable: yesterday at a swim meet, the pro photographer had his DSLR with autofocus zoom lens fog up due to the heat and humidity, then the body acted up. A Leica will operate under very sever conditions that would disable many other cameras.

Having had only a very quick glance over some of the responces, some of which refer to Zen and like qualities, what the...

I would like to make it very clear that the only reason I am such a dedicated leica proponent is because of the end result, not any fuzzy fealing I might get whilst taking a photo.

But I'm not so much a fan of Leica as the quality they have been known to represent, and which I feel that I have experienced having used a range of their equipment.

Newb's must think that all Leica stuff is over rated and over priced. Little do they know how cost effective it really is.

JJ

Over the decades, I have only ever had ONE roll of film go bad on me, and it was my fault, not that of the camera, lab, or film. On that occasion I was shooting in a hurry with an M4 and didn't notice a mis-load. Normally, I watch the film rewind crank spin for the first two blank frames to ensure I have a fully engaged leader. It's such a habit I was sure I had done it that time as well, but when I rewound the film, I was surprised by the lack of resistance. Sure enough, when I finally developed it, the film came back blank.

It's only ever happened once. And now, I often prefer the manual take-up spool of the M2 to the rapid load of the M4 and M6. Once I have manually stuck the leader in there, I know it's set!

Most Leicas are manual cameras. They make you focus on the essentials and think for yourself. What did we do in the days before matrix metering and autofocus? To me, that's what Leicas are all about. I still carry a handheld meter with incident capability with me, and I still rely heavily on it. Even the M6 meter, which I really like, I like because it has a semi-spot characteristic much like my Canon F-1N. You have to think about where you lay that spot. My theory, and it's just that, is that besides being great tools, Leicas are retro and appeal to people who like to think about their craft.

<i>"Having had only a very quick glance over some of the responces, some of which refer to

Zen and like qualities, what the..."</i><p>

John- I referred to Zen teachings only to make the point that one must actually experience

something (anything) to learn what that thing's true value is for one's own use. I think I made

it quite clear that it has nothing to do with Leica specifically. I believe I gave a number of

examples outside of photography.

"There are only a few places where the liberal the use superlatives without facts to back them up are generally accepted. Advertising is one, internet Leica forums are another."

These are not superlatives but characteristics of the tool. But then, compared to SLRs some might interpret as superlatives. Thanks.

"..it's fundamental Zen philosophy: The experience is everything"

Not quite...the fundamental Zen idea is that nothing is something, and experience is deceptive :-)

Haiku Leiku:

M8 and Zen potter

Perfect object, intentional accident

Magenta.

Jim, I agree with you that the Leica has its limitations but I find the useful range of focal lengths is greater than you've indicated.

The 24 and the 90s (all the current ones) are some of the best lenses Leica (or anyone) makes. The rangefinder allows precise focusing of the 24 -- something that's hard to do with an SLR -- and is certainly adequate for the 90s. Even the .58 viewfinder can be used to focus the Summicron wide open, especially with the viewfinder magnifier in place.

The real objection to using a 90 on a rangefinder isn't the accuracy of the rangefinder, but the size of the image in the viewfinder. However, sometimes the advantage of seeing outside the frame, and thus being able to anticipate the action, more than compensates for the smaller view.

Steve, I love the way my Leica feels in my hand, the functionality, the heft of it and its simplicity. It also is nice to look at and makes very good images with a little help from the user. My affection for it has nothing to do with a Zen experience or the sound of the shutter. In fact, none of my many cameras has a loud shutter, IMHO. Best, Bill

"There can be few camera manufacturers who have been forced to resuscitate an obsolete model (the M4) to save their reputation."

The M4 is not obsolete. It will still expose film.

"It is a bit hit and miss getting the focusing right with longer lenses wide open."

I had no problem with my 75/1.4, or Noct' wide open.

"A great chunk of the bottom right corner of the viewfinder is blocked by the lenshood."

It depends which lens one uses, and if (s)he used a hood. I beats tunnel vision for me.

"In recent years Leica seems to have abandoned technical development instead playing shamelessly to the collectors market with limited edition versions made of exotic materials."

What camera company has not done that?

"There really seems little practical difference between Leitz optics and good Canon or Nikon ones."

How about size and weight? Resale value?

"A couple of years ago I was the proud owner of a brand new M6 which failed after about 20 rolls when a minor shutter spring broke."

That's an anecdotal experience, I'll add mine. My M6 was from the first batch of 1000 produced in '84. It has been around the world several times in harsh environments for work and play. It has been dropped four or five times. It has never been serviced (I did a DIY infinity RF adjusment), and still functions fine, even though it looks like Al K. got his hands on it. ;*)

<i>These are not superlatives but characteristics of the tool. But then, compared to SLRs some might interpret as superlatives. Thanks.</i></p>You said "Leica produces the <i/>highest</i> standard in pro cameras." <i>Highest</i> is the superlative I questioned, and you still haven't backed it up with any facts. In what way(s) is it higher than a Hasselblad or a Sinar or a Linhof or a Rollei or any other pro camera?

<i>The rangefinder allows precise focusing of the 24</i>

<p>

While it may provide precise focusing it does not provide accurate framing due to parallax error...something that is critical, IMO, for wide angle shooting.

<p>

I wish it did. I'd still be using it.

<i>"In recent years Leica seems to have abandoned technical development instead playing shamelessly to the collectors market with limited edition versions made of exotic materials."

What camera company has not done that? </i></p>

How about naming each of cameras made in recent years (let's say the last five)by other brands that can be classified as "limited edition versions made of exotic materials"?

I purchased an M6 TTL about three months ago and glad I did. I shoot MF mostly now and

going back to 35mm was an issue for me.

However, I wanted to explore street photography and the MF was starting to weigh me

down. The Leica allows me to move easier. It isn't a big honking device/box that says here

I am. Recently on a trip to NYC/Prague I decided to try shooting street with my m645 and I

am happy with the results. Bigger negatives that have a lot of detail and tonal quality.

Much better than the 35mm Tri-X that I shoot in the Leica. But I can't really get the same

shots. The Leica is so quiet and I can get closer to people. Furthermore, I can shoot down

to 1/8th of a sec b/c there is no mirror slap and no stopping down of a lens with a 77mm

filter ring.

I'm so glad that I have both for very different reasons. I also have an Oly XA so that I can

snap away off my bicycle.

I'm real happy with the quality, the lenses are great even wide open.

G.