8x10 camera suggestions

jos__garese

I've been using a 4x5 field Wista for the past few years and I just love it. I

have used it, though, mostly in the studio. As with (I gather) many of you I

find film area addictive, and predictably want to move up to 8x10 now.

I will be using it for urbanscapes and environmental portraits mostly. I don't

need extreme tilting, swinging, etc. so a field camera is OK with me, besides

light weight is a must. I have seen the Wista 8x10 is lightweight and

affordable, but I'm not sure it's sturdy enough. My 4x5 I love as I just wrote,

but doesn't seem too stable against wind, for example -which has not been a

problem because I have scarcely taken it out of the studio.

Have any of you used a Wista 8x10 Field and been happy with it? Would you

recommend it for my line of work? Or which other 8x10 should I aim for? Price

and weight are concerns. Toyo Field, for instance, costs and weighs almost

twice. And of course I will be buying second hand. I am not sure but Deardorff

looks big and weighty.

I think you might find that you need swings and tilts more than you suspect at the moment, because with 8x10 your depth of field will be reduced.

Maybe you could try an older camera first? I like the Ansco 8x10 very much. It's very well built, is very stable, not too heavy, and has all the movements you need.

When you first get it it won't have front swings. But you can create them by getting a piece of wood 1/8" thick and putting it under the front standard, inside the "track" it rests in. Then you can swing it all you want. Or, if you don't need it sometimes, you can take it out and get a little bit of extra stability.

I think it weighs less than a Deardorff. Edward Weston and Ansel Adams both used them (Weston used his more I think).

Good luck!

Please take a look at Wehman Field Camera, almost every owner loves them. They are not prettiest camera, but they are without a doubt probably the most durable as well as one of the lightest 8x10s around.

Hope it helps.

Gary

If you like your Wista 4x5 then go with a Wista or Tachihara 8x10 (the two are nearly

identical). It is a solid, well made rigid camera, especially the double extension which will

somewhat limit your lens choices but will give you little sway in the wind. I have used the

camera in the field .... in fact have an old Wista that has been through hell and back and

works fine.

Jose: I am required to tell you that I have a large format camera store when making recommendations. Here are my suggestions starting with the most expensive. 1) Ebony RW 810--titanium and mahogany, compact & easy to use. 2) Deardorff 8x10, excellent plus or better-- A few pounds heavier than it might be, but the classic 8x10: Tough, holds resale value, very usable. 3)Wisner Traditional--based on the Deardorff design, Wisner's best camera. Good value 4) Osaka 8x10--A great budget camera. Costs less than a Wista and I like it better. Very usable, great value. FYI I sell Ebony and Osaka. I am not a Wisner dealer, and have no Deardorffs in stock.