D70 print questions

epoc_man

Hi sorry if this has been asked, but my search skills need alot to be desired.

What is the maximum size I could print a converted RAW shot with a D70? I want

to get prints done by a professional print house.

Also could someone quickly explain the colour modes offered by the D70 and how I

change them in the camera? Also, what colour mode is best for editing photos in

Photoshop and Capture and then getting them printed professionally?

Thanks for any input that will help this noob out!!

Cheers

Epoc

Shoot RAW/NEF and then post edit in Photoshop, this will give you maximum control of your output to the printing house. You should check with the desired printing house to determine the parameters they want in the pictures you send them.As far as maximum print size goes...you could have any shot blown up to billboard size and it will look OK depending on your viewing distance...you need to determine how far from the print the viewer is expected to be when viewing it, then you can begin to calculate the minimum number of pixels/inch for the eye to blend everything. There's lots of discussion/formulas, and you really should do a search (even with limited search skills) to get an idea of the issues involved, so that you can determine how best to proceed. Sorry, I'm no good at summarizing it.

I've seen billboards done with a 6 MP camera but for upclose critical inspection 11x14 seems to be a general consensus. I crop and upsize in Photoshop.

I just went through the menus on my D70s and I believe it's only capable of sRGB (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) which is all I use anyways. You can do stuff like have the colors more vivid and the like. Hit the menu button and go to the camera icon. The top selection will be "Optimize image".

-Tom

'Tom J (Seattle), Apr 03, 2007; 06:50 p.m.

I just went through the menus on my D70s and I believe it's only capable of sRGB (someone

please correct me if I'm wrong) which is all I use anyways'

The d70s offers three colours modes I, Ia and II (or so I believe), they include at least sRGB

and Adobe RGB. In any case, it shouldn't matter if you shoot in RAW, since you can change

that in Capture NX.

I have a 20x16 print that looks OK from a couple feet away. My pro printer tells me that they have made decent prints from a D70s as large as 40x60.

According to Scott Kelby in The Digital Photography Book on page 182, you need 3 megapixels for a 5x7", 4 megapixels for a 8x10", 5 megapixels for a 11x14", 6 megapixel for a 13x19", 8 megapixels for a 16x20" and 10-12 megapixels for a 24x36" print.

When I use Kodak's easy share gallery or robertsimaging.com, then the software notes the largest optimal print size for each photo, so you might see if your professional print house has software that will identify the best possible size for each of your photos before printing.