Bad lens connection?

les_barstow

Lately I've been seeing something disturbing on my camera with VR lens attached.

Every so often, it seems the connection between the lens and camera breaks or

becomes less than perfect - the VR shuts off, and the aperture indicator moves

(I usually shoot Aperture-priority, and I'll see it move from, say, f/8 to f/6).

Any ideas as to whether this might be the camera or the lens? I haven't noticed

it with my other lens, but since it doesn't have VR, it's not as easy to pick up

on...

I had a similar problem with my 70-200vr. You can try cleaning the contacts. If that doesn't work, you might have to send your lens in for service. Mine needed major repairs but was covered under warranty. Which lens do you have?

I used ethanol on my lens contacts on 2 different lenses that had the same apparent connectivity issue, and the problem never returned. Someone on this board (Shun?) indicated that new lenses may be shipped with a very, very thin layer of grease on the contacts to prevent corrosion in storage. This material may cause an intermittant issue. Hope this is the case for you.

With respect to those who's experience is different, or more substantial, if re-seating the lens works, it appears to indicate a conection/cleaning issue. Re-seating my lenses always worked, but the problem would return. It was not until I cleaned that the issue disappeared.

Most vodkas have some sugar and other taste changing ingredients, and even if the fluid is clear, may not be suitable for cleaning.

If your vodka gives you headache the next morning, perhaps is not good for cleaning lenses.

Also vodkas have about 40 to 50 % of alcohol, and about 50 % to 60 % of water that does not evaporate so quickly during cleaning, and could possibly endanger the lens by dripping inside.

There are other kinds of pure alcohol of 85%, 92% and 95% pure alcohol by volume, and are better for cleaning, or medical use. One place to get pure concentrated alcohol is Jon's Market in Los Angeles area.

Thanks all. The lens is my 80-400VR, and it's been in to the shop several times already; I was hoping it was something simple like that, and not yet another shop repair. I'll see what I can do with some alcohol.

While I'm at it, maybe I'll see if it polishes up my old Pentax Program Plus which suffered the same issue before I replaced it with a Nikon F100... :^)