Leica Ms are rubbish for macro work...

A Leica rangefinder with Visoflex system already mentioned here, is superb for macro work. I suggest you look into it. Shown here is my M3 with Visoflex and the renowned Hektor 135mm. I use it frequently

I suspect there is more to the Leica M history than you have so far become aware of. Something for you to look forward to.<div>00Kg1t-35922784.jpg.abb1e79af41de15099126780dee4e51a.jpg</div>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul, what you intended as sarcasm is really the truth, and your picture proves it. An SLR (or turning an M into an SLR with the Viso-Rubo- Goldbergo-Flex) would have given you some ability to visualize and therefore control the relationship between your subject and...

Distracting backgrounds.

Even a point and shoot is a better device for close up photography.

Ocean Physics, while I agree with your definition, from a technical viewpoint, for educational purposes, I modify it to include a reference to the 35mm film frame height.

My working definition, and the one I usually teach, is "A macro photograph is one that allows a 1 inch subject to fill the frame".

Without this little addition, you have to take into consideration point and shoot cameras with 1/4 inch sensors, rangefinders and DSLRs, medium format, and view cameras. On an 11x14, 1:1 is a "headshot".

I flesh it out with macro being the range from 1 inch to the point at which you need to think about using a microscope to control the relationship between subject, lens, and camera.

p.s. hey gang, attacking the nickname is even worse than attacking the man. You've gone from ad hominem attacks to ad pseudonym attacks. ;)

One can make exception if the name is deliberately provocative (such as the occasional person who signs onto a photography site as Ansel Adams or Henri Cartier-Bressan, or an annoying troll on dpReview who signs himself "furryberry", a slang term for a gonad) but in general, most people choose a nickname because it means something to them. It's an aspect of their personality.

What rubbish! Any good photographer would have no limitations whatsoever on his creative possibilities, in using the Viso II or III with 65 mm or other lenses and bellowsa II.

And if you want mico, then Leica was the choice camera for many years (probably still is) for microscope(ic) photography.

However, a Leica cannot prevent a macro photographer from producing rubbish. That is unquestionable!

<i>

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

<p>

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

<p>

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

<p></i>

Even with a Rangefinder, you're still peering at the world through the looking glass, at least within the bounds of the focusing patch, so Humpty's rules still apply.

Mark U,

The image Paul posted is a crop and his M8+90/4 Macro-Elmar-M+macro adapter set-up at its maximum magnification would go to 1/3X at best

(http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/testm/MEM90/MacroElmar.html).

The daisy image posted here was made at a magnification of about 1/5X:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KegE

Well, there I was posting a cheery spring photo that took all of 30 seconds to take, download,

crop and upload (and yes, I'm sure some of you can tell that's all it took). Some spotted the

irony of tone and treated it in the spirit it was intended. As for others, oh well...I'm sure

you're the life and soul of the party really.

An interesting debate.

I know I am late into the discussion and as a newb probably not the greatest authority. I just wanted to add the virtues of using the Leica D-LUX 2 - an 8mp digicam for macro work.

The one thing I do like about using the D-LUX 2 in closeup situations is that you can get in very close without bending in two at low heights and see in real time what you are about to capture. You can certainly blow images up to A3 and get good results (I have done so). Attached is one of my best results - I was staggered that I could actually see a reflection in the carapace of the insect.

I'm not decrying other solutions, just that for individuals on a budget, or with a moderate interest in macro photography, it is a satisfactory solution, or starting point.

LouisB<div>00KgVD-35934584.jpg.f25e8d7dc846751ac9f53b1a9264629a.jpg</div>

I like using Leica M for Macro photos.

The best way to do macro work is through a M-visoflex adapter and a bellow, which are

really cheap.

Here is an example taken with a Leica MP and a 90mm elmarit-M lens wide open.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/213/452136281_6a820cf568_o.jpg