1D MKIII B&H price

mwaks

B&H wants $4499 for the new Canon 1D MKIII. Canons list price is $4000.

Is this an attempt to get the early adapters willing to pay anything. (much like

the price activity of a sony playstation 3)

It seems to me a person may have to wait till year 2008 to get the list price.

So far I only have a B&H price. I'm waiting to see what Amazon.com will want

for the body.

"list price" may have been the wrong term. Postings around the internet have the suggested retail price as $4000.

On the other hand, the Canon white paper says prices will be set by the retailer. I guess it will be priced at whatever the market will support.

Well, I guess there is quite a lot of 1D MkII N around - and they need to be sold. The difference of about 25% between 1D MkII and 1D MKIII may be just enough for a lot of people to go for the cheaper option (1D Mk II is still a lot of camera, more than 95% of photographers will ever need).

Helpful post, TN.

The fact is, as with any technology product, if you want to be at the cutting edge you'll have to bleed. Once the camera finally ships it will have a waiting list at $4500. After a couple of months it will stabilize at $4000. About that time the first purchasers will be posting that it sucks and they're switching to Nikon. In a couple of years I'll pick one up for $2500 from someone who's salivating over its replacement.

Unless you have to buy it now, the price will eventually drop below $4,000 or even $3,500 depending on the competition and sales numbers.

It's surely an over-priced camera when 5D could be bought for only $2300. I still think 5D is over-priced. Given its construction (not up to the standard set by EOS3), it's probably worth $1500 at most.

"It's surely an over-priced camera when 5D could be bought for only $2300."

Sorry, but the 5D is really just a 30D with a full-frame sensor; the 1-series bodies are much, much better cameras as far as capabilities and build quality. There's no comparision.

I just attended a talk by Amy Kawadler, the Southwest Canon rep/manager and she was quite specific that Canon has not set a price yet and won't until just before release. The B&H price is an estimate and given that B&H is a discounter their final price will likely be much lower. I think Canon is trying make sure they compete with Nikon, not with the 1D Mark II N.