Differences between Panasonic L1 and Leica Digilux 3?

Well, I went to a large elctronic component/camera store here in New York City (not B & H

or Adorama, the other large one) today and the salesman lost no time in talking me out of

either one of these cameras. He told me of many returns, tons of complaints, and pointed

out more than a couple of drawbacks to the camera's design. To quote him, he said

neither one was ready for "prine time". I have to admit I was a little shocked. A salesman

would really have had to have a lot of trouble with any product to go so out of his way to

warn a potential customer.

I didn't deeply inspect it although the viewfinder was very dim, and it does seem cluttered

on the back, and maybe not completely clear. I have an FZ-30 so I'm somewhat familiar

with their approach. But I think I'll wait for the second round of the LeicaSonic DSLR game.

I recall being told the same thing by a camera salesman at the local shop regards my decision

to buy a Pentax *ist DS in January 2005. I ignored him and have since completed well over

30,000 photos with Pentax equipment, many of which have hung in exhibition and received

awards, honorable mention, and sales.

Godfrey