Hoya Moose's Warm Circular Polarizing filter

bsd230

I was considering this filter was wondering if anyone is using it and how well

it works? I have used a polarizing filter in the past but didn't like the cool

cast that I noticed in some pictures, that is why this filter appeals to me. I

would be using it on a Nikon 18-200VR Lens.

Hi Brian,

I've got one. I found it useful on film, particularly in the mountains and when shooting flash. I'm not very happy with it on digital. I'd recommend a high quality polarizer and do the warm in WB selection and/or post-processing. Cheers, HWD

I had one but it caused vignetting on the 17-35mm on a 35mm camera. Don't know how it would fare on an 18-200. I sold mine; don't know how it's marketed nowadays, but it was previously marketed as a "slim" filter that would not cause vignetting, which I found to be untrue in my case. I had no issues with it quality wise, however.

I have one because I like the warmer tones. Most of the time this filter is just a little too warm though. I agree with some of the others, it was better with film, and I would also get a regular high quality polarizer and warm in post processing.

I've used the Moose filter for a couple of years and like it very much. I don't use it all the time though, mostly in summer. It is too yellow though, and I find adding a bit of red to the image in post processing helps even things out.

Dave

• 1 year later...
To my eyes, warming filter does not give warming effect the same way as white balance, in which warm means yellow. I do own a Hoya 81A warming filter, and it gave more pleasing vivid color into the result. It was essential on my day with D40x, but when I replaced my body with a D200, have never used it again as it makes most pictures, especially for interior, too red. It seems to me that warming filter is more about depth of warm color instead of white balance. I guess warming polarizer works the same in its warming sense. I do own the best Hoya CPL, and totally understand what Brian was seeing, and instead of colder white balance, I would say that normal CPL is increasing depth cold color.