Anyone have problems with Lr?

Im curious to know if anyone have problems or bugs with Lr..i ear so many things

about it that never append to me, that make me wonder if is not a computer

problem, a system or the way people handle it?

Let me know what you do with it, what platform you use it on, your op system,

and solution if you have some; that should help others with the bugs.

thanks

I assue youre talking about lighroom 1.0?

I always get a red, backwards message that shows up "not enough memory." I have to restart the program when that happens. LR also runs slow and I only put 20,000 images into it. No solutions, it's glitches in the software I'be been told. . .

My trial ran out so I'm not sure if Im going to buy it, better decide, it goes up in a week!

I'm running a dimension xps gen 3 , p4 3.4 ghz, with 4 gigs of ram and a tera byte of storage, on win xp pro. . .

Patrick, I've encountered an enormous number of bugs with LR v1.0. I've submitted over a dozen bug reports to Adobe, and even that doesn't cover all of them.

Here's a small example of LR bugs:

LR cannot successfully import images from CF card without the

application hanging.

LR will periodically crash and leave the database unusable and unrepairable (with the current toolset Adobe provides).

LR will crash on import, leaving a partially updated library, but not populating fields such as Origination Date, and all such photos will sort at the top of the library chronologically, regardless of actual time. Reimporting metadata does not repair this problem.

LR is extremely slow in general, and will sit around for minutes "accumulating metadata" or doing other housekeeping chores.

Metadata entry fields lose focus when tabbing if more than one photo is selected.

LR will improperly read metadata when importing photos, leaving the appearance of corrupted photos. Photos must be deleted from library and reimported.

Numerous inconsistencies exist with stacks, virtual copies, etc.

Metadata/text finds stop working after LR has been running for some time. A restart is required to restore find functionality.

ACR/LR issues exist with poor WB interpolation on many camera models.

Importing issues where "duplicate" files are "NOT" imported, but still clog database; reimporting again results in oddly named -1.xxx files being MOVED to data directories but not imported in database- silently filling your drives with duplicate cruft.

Slow. Slow. Slow. Continuous restarts required to keep performance even slightly usable.

Auto-corruption of library when many images are imported in one session.

Less than no support for NAS storage.

Inability to locate multiple directories of photos when moved off of a filesystem (i.e. to archival storage) without manually locating a file in each directory.

This is just a small list off the top of my head. Some could be considered missing features.

This has been my experience on several fast intel OS X 10.4.9 boxes.

I'm on a G4 mac and have had no problems whatsoever with about 10,000 images in the

library. One thing that does make me nervous is that when i want to edit in CS, i'm prompted

and it says i can edit a copy with LR changes. Now, at that point i haven't done anything to

the image in LR, but it just makes me concerned that it's doing something "automatic" as a

"feature" that is permanently in the image at that point... i'm probably just paranoid - so

many years on MS stuff that just does whatever it wants to stuff without asking you.

So far, running LR 1.0 on both Power Mac G5 and PowerBook G4 systems, I've encountered

no bugs to speak of. I have several libraries, the largest of which now has 53000

exposures in it, and all work beautifully. My main working library has 16000 or so

exposures in it ... I work in that one about five to six hours a day right now and have had

no problems producing a ton of work.

I have a wish list of additional features I'd find useful (at home, not here on my laptop).

Key amongst these are some enhancements to the Find, Metadata Browser capabilities and

Web modules in particular.

Godfrey

I'm reluctant to invest in version 1.0 of any application. I did d/l and install the trial version of LR a couple of weeks ago, just to check out what all the buzz is about.

Not bad, but since it doesn't accept plug-ins, it doesn't meet my needs.

(WinXP SP2 / 2.4GHz P4 / 2GB DDR RAM / 500GB HDD)

I have been using LR 1.0 since it came out, on average probably 3-4hrs a week. I have not experienced any bugs or significant delays. (AMD 6400 X2 4600. 3GB Ram, 250GB HD)

I have been very pleased with LR, and would purchase it again in a heartbeat.

Kier Selinsky, when it says you can edit with LR changes, it is giving you the choice of including any changes that you have made.

If you have not, then just choose another option....

The reason it asks, is if you answer YES, then it makes a copy of the original with changes you made, so you edit the copy, and not the original changes, so that if you dont like what you did, you can go back.

Then, if you do prefer the copy you edited, you can go back and delete the original one with LR changes. LR does NOT actually change your original photo, it makes the changes in LR, and then when you export a copy, the copy you export has these changes. The original, is still the same as when it was before your LR changed. When you delete the LR image, it asks if you want to just remove it from LR or if you want to actually delete that original image.

I have terrible performance problems - runs fine for 10 mins, then hits "treacle" mode, where every single mouse click takes 30 seconds to 3 minutes to process. Want to switch to another folder? Go make some tea. Want to close down and reboot? Go for a walk first. etc etc. That's on a P4 pc - not the fastest machine, admittedly, but much of the time LR runs fine.

Roll on version 1.0.1, or 1.0.2 or whatever.

Kier,

The first time you use "edit in photoshop", LR only gives you the option of "Edit with

changes" because it must render the image to RGB if it is a RAW image file. The

terminology is somewhat misleading in the case of, say, a JPEG or TIFF file which is already

an RGB image ... it is doing nothing other than handing off the file to Photoshop, but it

makes a copy of the original.

If you do some changes in Photoshop, save and return to Lightroom, choosing the edited

version of the image and "edit in photoshop" will offer all three options.

Godfrey

Well, I get shut down once in every prolonged editing session. Sometimes it is the infamous upside down red message but often it is one of three different error messages. Things also seem to bog down at times. My library is not large yet. I am using pc. I hope someone is intelligent enough to identify a common thread with the problems folks are having.

Well, one common thread that seems to be evident is that the majority of the problems seem

to be on the Windows platform.

This isn't too outlandish: Lightroom's development started on Mac OS X. The Windows

development cycle started later and PC hardware/Windows configurations are significantly

more diverse, more difficult to test.

Godfrey