Camera bags

errolyoung

Camera Bags. I hate them and I need them.

They are either too big or too small. They seem to have too many pockets or

ones not the right size. More importantly, they cost too much.

I just found a solution that seems to work for me. I found this bag at a

department store, on sale for 15 CND. I took an cheap old but smaller camera

bag and put it inside. That gives me the padding that I need and a divider for

my flash.

And it has wheels.

Then I found another like it but smaller. It cost only $10 and while I put my

household tools in it, it had a shoulder strap that was as good as or better

than ones in camera shops.

I looked at some tool bags not on sale and they cost ? for similar quality. And

they don?t look like they have $5,000 worth of photo equipment in them.

Photographers of the world, rebel. You have nothing to lose but your photo

store bill.

Errol

That tool bag looks interesting, if you don't mind rummaging through it to find anything. How convenient! What an excellent way to reduce $5000 worth of equipment to rubble.

There is no bag which works for everybody in every situation. Most of us have several. One thing is in common, however. A bag designed for cameras offers more protection than a bag simply designed for carrying "stuff", and generally more convenience as well.

If it looks like a camera bag, so what! If you actually use your camera, any dimwit could figure that the "innocuous" bag in your hand has more camera stuff.

I have found sporting good stores to have some good deals on bags that can work for photo

gear. One example, for $30 I found a baseball bat bag. Long, black, with retractable luggage

handle, wheels and durable full-length zipper. Perfect for light stands, umbrellas, tripods,

etc. It even had a bag-within-a-bag that I use for 4 speedlites, cables and such.

I buy on average 1 camerabag a year (at least, it seems to be accellerating lately).

It's just one facet of being an active photographer that you're constantly searching for the "perfect" bag even while knowing full well it doesn't and cannot exist.

Yes, those bags are getting expensive. And as my taste gets more exact the bags get more expensive still and harder to get (anyone know a Thinktank dealer in or around Amsterdam?).

Currently I mix and match between 3 bags and a collection of optional attachments to get the volume and access I desire for any given opportunity, but there's always that nagging urge to get another bag and give it a try ;)