Replacement for Canon i960

My Canon i960 finally bit the dust. This was a fantastic printer thought

probably a little dated by now. I don't do this professionally so money is an

object. I usually print 4x6 and 5x7 and an occasional 8x10. If I want bigger I

go to a lab. I am considering the Canon iP6700 and the Epson R380.

From what I have read, I gather that the Canon has better print quality but the

Epson has more flexibility. Epson also advertises 200/98 year longevity for

album/display for their "High Definition" inks. Canon advertises 100/30 years

for album/display. The Epson claim seems to be supported by

www.wilhelm-research.com. Not sure about the Canon.

Another option may be the Epson R800, which seems to have a good following among

photographers.

I appreciate any help in making a decision on these or other printers.

Thanks in advance

Stan

I am still using canon i960s. Bought 2 for a santa clause shoot in a small mall. So they probably have printed 700 8x10s each and they are still working. Found a third in a second hand shop for $50 with full ink!

I expect to use them this year too. I use one of them at home for photo printing.

How did yours die? When one of my printer's heads gets clogged and the cleaning routeen does not work, I pull it out and soak it in methanol. do not do that often though.

Errol

I tend to go period where it doesn't get much use and I have had clogs. The last time I used it I was having trouble with the photos having too much yellow. Now the yellow does not work at all nor does the black. I cleaned the head in denatured alcohol with no luck. I soaked it again and used a little compressed air. There is flow through the head. Best case, I need a new head, which apparently goes for $80 - $120. I also read of someone having similar problems, replaced the head, new inks and still no joy. Likely an circuit failure.

Stan

• 1 month later...

I had an old Canon S820, which i thought I would replace with a pixma 4300 I took it back

to the Jessops and replaced it with the Epson R800 after just printing 3 photos. the quality

is simply not there.

Canon does not manufacture a "Photographic" A4 printer. Even their ix5000 is regarded as

not being photographic quality. I was devestated with the quality of photo from the canon,

whilst the Epson is simply magnificent. I patricularly enjoy the output on Ilford fiber based

Matt paper.

kak handed interface, and slower but the quality is deffinetly head and shoulders above

the A4 competition

G

• 1 year later...