What brands of lenses can be used on Nikon body?

kendall_plahn

Not a stupid question, that's what forums are for. You have a lot of brands to choose from but I generally look at Nikon first, then the 3rd parties like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. You can get some very good optics from 3rd party vendors for much less however I have found over the years you will get more money for Nikon/Canon lenses over 3rd party when you try to sell them. I get about half of what I paid for 3rd party lenses but when I have sold my Canon lenses on Ebay I get about 90% of what I paid, not bad. I'm sure the same holds true for Nikon.

As far as what lenses to steer clear of, pretty much any not designed specifically for the Nikon bayonet mount. All of the third-party lensmakers others have noted also make lenses for other bodies, so, for example, while a Tamron with a Nikon mount will fit your camera, a similar Tamron with a Canon mount won't.

Generally the manufacturers will make it clear what mount XYZ lens is intended to fit. Unless it's a Nikon lens or it's made clear that the lens in question will fit a Nikon mount, they you probably should pass it up.

Just keep in mind that many of the newer Nikkors, as well as Tamron and Sigma now make lenses that do NOT have aperture rings. These are not fully functional on a N90. All newer Nikon cameras have a builtin fuction to adjust the aperture, the N90 does not. If you use a lens without a aperture ring (designated by a G for Nikon) then you cannot shoot in aperture priority or manual modes, you will have to shoot in shutter priority, program, or auto mode.

You also will not be able to use any Nikon lens with a DX rating, or a Sigma lens with a DC rating, or a Tamron lens with a Di II rating, or a Tokina with a DX rating. These lenses are designed for a DSLR using a smaller sensor then the 35mm frame of your N90. Using one of these lenses will cause lots of vignetting.

Take a look at www.cameraquest.com for information on some adapters to fit specific lenses on a Nikon. For example I frequently use certain of Leica's M mount lenses which were designed to be used with their Visoflex, on my Nikon cameras with excellent results.

It is the mount - Nikon F - that matters when mating lens to camera. The manufacterer is secondary, except when you ask about picture quality etc; most Zeiss lenses in Nikon F mout (ZF lenses) are better than most Nikkors, which best all other manufacturers' lenses again. Price will reflect this order of quality precisely.

Good luck, and simply look for the mount of a lens and the price ...