Lens options

bsd230

That's good to know about the 70-200 with the 2x adapter. I had the 100mm macro for a while and sold it, it was a great lens. The only reason I sold it was I just didn't use it much. I thought about getting the 60mm Macro because I thought the range would be more useful for other types of shooting.

The thing that baffles me about the 30d, people who have it love it and people who don't have it always try to steer you away from buying it. Kinda makes me want to just get the D200 and be done with it. Most of the lenses I would like they offer as well. It's better than the 30d in most areas and will more than likely be close in performance to the 40d coming out in the fall. People keep saying that it's not the equipment and to some extent I agree, but if equipment wasn't that important why would pros use 1Ds and the like when they could just use rebels like throw aways, because better equipment does improve image quality. Seems like people misconstrue improving image quality with improving composition. Better equipment has the potential to create better images and that's it.

The 30D has better high ISO image quality. Nikon users can argue all they want, but it's still true. Other than image quality, the D200 is a better camera. Both are very good cameras. Just pick one. You'll be happy either way.

I do think you will be happy *longer* with the D200 though, because it will likely be another 2-3 years before Nikon upgrades it, and causes you "new-camera-itis." If you buy the 30D now, a D200 killer will be announced by Canon in the fall, and you will have the itch by new years. :)

I agree Jim, I know that both are good cameras but I think the shelf life so to speak will be a bit longer with the Nikon. I think it is slotted to be replaced late next year, so at least I would have a current camera for a while anyway. I would just wait to see the 40d but my wife has given me the go ahead now and I've learned to take up the offers right away before there is time to change.

I certainly can not fault the 30D in any way, but I do hope to one day be able to afford the 5D or 1D Mark III, but until then the 30D is about the best I have come across of late, certainly much better than the 400D in both feel, build quality and features.