Good Macro lens

bsd230

I am looking for a good Macro lens. I am new to Nikon so not sure which one to

get. I prefer to stay with Nikon but will consider 3rd party too. I would also

like it to be in the 50-60mm range to used as a portrait lens as well. I will be

receiving my new D200 w/ 18-200mm tomorrow, can't wait.

I don't buy many 3rd party lenses, but occasioanlly there are some of excellent quality for a LOT less than Nikon--my Tokina 12-24 is a good example.

For macro work, I picked up a used/like new Tamron 90mm SP Di for $250. It is SUPER sharp, easy to use, and has fantastic bokeh (the creamy out of focus area in an image). It also makes a great portrait lens--indeed one of the only criticisms about this lens is that maybe it is too sharp for portraits......lol.

I've been very happy with this lens, and I think it's probably one of the best values amongst the 3rd party lenses.

Here are some links to various reviews on this lens:

http://www.photodo.com/topic_21.html

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_90_28_nikon/index.htm

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=249&sort=7&cat=44&page=1

Since you'll have a D200, you should also consider AI/AIS lenses.

55mm to 60mm - the obvious first choice is the 60mm/2.8. However, there are some very good 55mm manual focus lenses (focusing to 1:1 with a PK-13 or equivalent extension tube). Since you're looking for something that will do double duty as a portrait lens, check out the 55mm/2.8 AIS.

If later on, you decide to go with something longer:

90mm to 105mm - Tokina 90mm, Tamron 90mm, Kiron 105mm, Nikon 105mm VR, Nikon 105mm/4 (with PN-11)

200mm - there can be only one - 200mm/4 AFD

I really appreciate all the responses. This has given me a few places to start. I will probably look into the 60mm first because I had a 100mm Macro with my old Canon and loved it just wished it wasn't so long. If I decide to go longer again the 105 sounds very nice. I know from my previous Macro lens they are very unforgiving as portrait lenses, however most of my portraits involve children and animals so I think sharpness is a plus in those instances. With older subjects you definitely have to soften it a bit.

Just got my new camera, waiting on the battery to charge as we speak it is like torture watching the charging light, I can't take it. If it shoots anything like how it feels in my hand this is going to be a great camera. Makes my D-Rebel feel like a P&S.

I adore my 60mm Micro 2.8 AF-D. I didn't think the distance of the 105 warranted the extra

cash. I've read some reviews that preferred the 60. if money was no concern, i would love to

have the 200. most insects stay still enough with the 60, and i haven't been stun yet.

dragonflies are quite agreeable to me being fairly close.