M6 TTL

issamikel

there was a thread a little while ago about this....

a biggie is if you want a .58x viewfinder, which is the best for 28mm and 35mm lenses. an

m6ttl is also preferable if you're thinking of getting an m7 or m8 down the line. they're newer

than the m6 classic, so there's less chance you'll need a cla. other than that, they're pretty

much the same.

I rarely use flash and find my M6 classic perfectly satisfactory and it should be adequate for your purposes. I once had a CLE and can't recall ever needing the TTL flash synchronization. I have an old Honeywell flash the size of a pack of cigarettes that I found in the junk box at my neighborhood Leica dealer that I don't use often enough to keep fresh batteries, but it does serve on the rare occasions when I need a bit of lighting fill in.

IMHO no reason to lust after M6TTL for flash work in particular. I don't know how robust is M6TTL's flash metering comparative to contemporary flash metering sophistication of nowaday's SLRs, but a non-TTL M6 (M6 Classic) works perfectly bundled with any cheap and smplem Auto flash attached to its shoe. I have Sunpak Auto 383 Super - a cheapa nd simlpe unit, yet quite robust and dependable. This is auto-thyristor unit (just like many others such as Vivitar models and others) - recently did an indoors event having no choce but use the flash on my M6 and loaded with ISO 100 slide film (Fuji Sensia 100) - put on 1/50 (sycn) or a bit slower, f/5.6 (and f/5.6 on the flash) to my amazement it did extremely well, the flash exposures were precise and well balanced, exposure-wise hit rate was no less then I used to with my former Canon SLR system featured by a sophisticated flash metering.

So, just a regular M6 (Classic) is perfectly usable with flash bearing auto-thyristor unit (these are readily available and cheap).

Issa, I believe the comment about the M6TTL being preferable if you intend to add an M7

or M8 to your setup refers to the size and orientation of the shutter speed knob.

On the M6TTL the knob is large, reaching the front of the camera body. It increases/

decreases exposure in the direction indicated by the exposure meter arrows. On all

previous Ms and the MP the knob turns the other way to increase/decrease exposure (and

therefore opposite the arrows). I believe the M7 and M8 function like the M6TTL, whereas

previous Ms and the MP function the other way.

For many this becomes an issue if they have multiple M bodies, as having differing shutter

dial function can become annoying when switching between them. So, for consistency,

some prefer one knob or the other, depending on what set of gear the body is meant to

match.

The M6TTL features a handy 3 light read out in the viewfinder (center circle lights with correct exposure) whereas the M6-preTTL has 2 triangles (correct exposure known when the two are of equal brightness). I have the TTL and find it to be much easier to use for metering. I also like the larger shutter dial.

My answer to your original question would be simply, "no".

No point in getting the TTL.

But this is also based on personal preference because I like the smaller shutter speed dial

even with my big fingers, and the classic M6 is a little smaller overall - just a little, but it

makes a difference to me. The TTL body is a few mm taller.

OTOH, as posted above, if you are going to be working with an M7 or M8 you might want

the consistency as described above.

I find it amusing that people make such a big deal out of the M6TTL being just 2mm taller than other M bodies. I have two M6TTLs, and one M3. The only discrepancy I find is the direction of the shutterspeed dial. Height is just a non issue. In fact, goggled lenses like the Elmarit 135/f2.8 fit perfectly on the M6TTL, and I'm sure the DR Summicron will work.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Hence, Issa, if you rarely use flash, you don't have to "lust" for the M6TTL. I too was looking for an M6 when I began shopping, but the M6TTLs fell on my lap at a better price than the "classic", so I went for them instead. They're newer, their meters have a slightly wider sensitivity range, and they're handy with the SF20 and SF24 Leica flashes. Even though I rarely use flash, I don't like to dismiss it either. It's packaged light, ready to use when you need it.

I use 2 M6TTL's and I have to say that it's quite nice to simply pop the SF20 on top, set -1/3 to -2/3 comp (depending on if I'm using the diffuser) and click away at my desired aperture. The results are quite pleasing to my eye and the TTL makes flash use dead easy.

• 2 weeks later...