Metz 45 CL-4 with Nikon D80

ajzammit

I posted this question yesterday in the lighting forum, but since the response

was poor, i'm posting the same question here. If the moderator feels this is

out of place, feel free to remove.

I just got hold of a METZ 45 CL-4 to go along with my D80. The flash has a

little problem. With the head straight or swivelled to the left, the flash

will always fire at full power, no matter how much light in the room or on

what setting it is. If the head is turned to the right, then all works well.

Has anyone had this problem, and is it something i can fix myself. thank you

all for your input.

it behaves that way in Auto mode and even in manual mode. So if I trun the head to the left, Auto mode is useless. I will always get the full blast. Even if i dial down to Manual 1/4, it will fire the blinding full blast if teh head is straight or truned left. I'm sure there is something wrong with it (in fact the guy who gave it to me told me about the funny behaviour). I'm only interested in knowing if there's anyone else who has the same problem and how bad it is to fix. There is no professional Metz service here, so shipping will come costly. Perhaps i can fix it myself.

You can only fix it yourself by getting flash that is appropriate for your camera. Metz could possibly fix it. The flash is damaged, and I believe you purchased a used one? - if not used then return it.

Since the flash does not work in the head straight position, it is kind of useless, and therefore you could turn it into a good TV/VCR electronic repair shop to have a look at it, it there is anything abvious there, but perhaps there is not.

Although it may be funny or noble idea, but perhaps Metz does not make yet flashes for left handed or right handed turns.

AJ,

You wasted time, or money, or both. Sorry!

I have a Metz 45 CL-4 and it is a fine flash. The capacitor eventually failed and Metz repaired it, rapidly and well... for hundreds of dollars... nearly the cost of a new unit. So the "have Metz repair it" option is probably not an inexpensive or cost-effective one.

I'm sure you know that the D80 is designed to work with Nikon's Creative Lighting System iTTL speedlight models. The SB800 and SB600 are fully compatible with the D80 and work wonderfully.

The Metz -- even if you get it to work wherever the head is pointed -- will only work in manual mode and auto thyristor mode (no TTL) when used on a D80. It cannot do the preflashes that are required for TTL control of flash on digital Nikons like the D80.

Therefore, your brand-new digital camera will be mated to a 1960s-era or 1970s-era flash technology. Meanwhile, the Metz will always throw shadows to one side or other of your subject because its potato masher bracket-mount design has the flash head offset a few inches laterally from the lens axis.

Get an iTTL flash. It's the right way to derive maximum value for the money -- considerable money! -- you have already invested in the D80 body.

Don't make us waggle our index fingers at you... further attempts to save money with marginably compatible flashes will just frustrate you.

Be well,

Hi all.

Jim, thanks for your reply. You are assuming I do not have any other flashes. :-) I have the SB-800 and I also have a perfectly functioning Metz 45 CL-1 which i love. I have not wasted much time ... and no money at all because I am very happy with the Metz 45 CL-1 and both it for just a few dollars, and as for the Metz 45 CL-4, I got it for free from a photographer I know who is getting rid of some equipment. As for the shadows, I like to bounce of light in most cases, so the lateral position of the Metz doesn't bother me. It would be nice to have the 45 CL-4 because unlike the CL-1 AND the SB-800, it has a little fill flash. So when the dumb old lady is wearing one of those ugly big hats, bouncing of the ceiling is not such a problem thanks to the secondary fill flash of the CL-4. Now ... if you got a free Metz 45 CL-4 which still blasts a good nice burst .... but has the little problem I told described ... wouldn't you try to c if you can at least get it fixed?

thanks a lot for your responses. I'll keep you updated on this.

thanks again

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Its maybe just a contact problem or a bad wire, but beware of high voltage when trying to repair it.

Dont open it when you are not knowing what you do.

There can be some 100 volts in a flash.

Dieter

• 2 years later...

<p>AJ, I hope that you still read this forum. If not I'm sure that my answer will be useful to others. I too had a Metz 45 CL-4 that seemed to flash full power when I tried to use the auto (thyristor setting). I noticed that it worked sometimes and other times (most of the time) it would fire at full power. It worked perfectly in manual mode at full, half and quarter power and that is how I have been using it for many months now. I just gave up on the auto setting. After reading your post I wanted to see if it made a difference if I turned the head to the right or left. I couldn't believe it, when I had it straight or to the left, it fired full power and when I turned it to the right or behind me, it worked as it should in auto mode.</p>

<p>I decided to fix it right then and there. I am please to say that it is fixed and I plan to post a how to for everyone else to do the same. I took many photos of the repair because I think other people can do this too.</p>

<p>As for the warnings of the high voltage. They are real. I did get two shocks in the beginning. After I got the second shock, I decided to discharge the cap and I will also show you in the how to, how to discharge the cap and work on the unit without worry.</p>

<p>Basically, I replaced the two wires from the thyristor to the board in the top of the head. I'm pretty sure that only one of them was bad but since I couldn't tell for sure which one, I just replaced both. I used wire from a cat5 cable. I guess I will see how long it will last but I think it will be fine. I think it will last me forever, because it is really only one of my backup flash units now. I just wanted it to work correctly.</p>

<p>It took me several of hours and thats with taking photos and I had to redo a few steps as I was learning. I think if you start out with the right tools and supplies, you can do it in an hour or two. I looked at the Bogen site and saw that they have a flat rate of just over $150 to repair the flash unit. To me it was worth the time I spent.</p>