epson 1280 problems

Have an R800 which prints great. I have calibrated my monitor and set

everything up right. My new Epson 1280 prints in ridiculous colors(mostly way

red)...I can't figure it out...I have changed many settings, checked nozzles

but nothing works...It is like it is not getting the same info as the r800 but

how can that be? Help!

You have to profile your printer. If you don't want to buy a calibrator like Eye-2 or Spyder, then you will need to print, adjust printer settings, print....until your print matches your monitor. Then you'll be good. There's a lot more to it but that's the basic process.

If you apply color management correctly, including the use of profiles and monitor calibration, then your 1280 should give you dead-on prints. There is absolutely no need to make your own printer/paper profiles. Even with the best equipment/skills it would be hard to improve upon Epson's profiles. There must be another reason for your problems with this printer. You say "my new Epson 1280"; did you buy it used? Did you do a nozzle check? There are many possible reasons why you get the results you get, but I don't think you have found it or them yet.

To all who reponded...thanks a lot....I talked to the Epson techie for about an hour, did a couple tests and he just said we will send you a new one...thankfully I have the R800 hooked up and printing fine because that eliminated the "it's Photoshop" angle. Hats off to Epson on this one so far but I must say I am a bit nervous reading all the "clogged nozzles/banding/ink usage" issues...we will see...

John, thanks for telling it like it is.

Even with calibrations and profiles, my prints are only *close* to what's on the monitor, but never dead-on. I always have to add an adjustment layer and make test prints for the final print, just like in the old days.

Since so many people claim to be able to get "dead-on" prints, for a long time, I thought that I've either not color managed correctly, or am too critical, or just unlucky. Not so. Recently, reliable and honest sources start to pop up confirming that my experience is not an exception. Check out:

Color Management in Digital Photography by Brad Hinkel, from the Rocky Mountain School of Photography.

I glad you were able to fix your problem. I have an old Epson 1200 which i love, but I haven't used it in a long, long time. I hope I do not encounter any problems with checking my nozzles,calibrations or anything! wish me luck!

Kim

I've had four 1280's. Broke two of them. Wore two of them out. But they all made perfect prints, both color and b&w. And I was using 3rd party pigment inks. But I think I understand color management and did use custom profiles because of the 3rd party pigment inks.

Hopefully your replacement will do better for you.