Should i keep on shooting?

manishraichur

Hi all

i have been photographying for abt 2 yrs now and still learning.

I know i enjoy shooting pictures.... (nature,landscapes ).

Can you take a look at my pictures and tell me

"Do i have it in me?"

www.manishraichur.com

All my friends praise my pictures alot,but i don't take their compliments

seriously.I have even joined my local photo club where we have monthly salons

to critic pictures,but i have found out that they give good ratings to even

mediocre pictures .. ( for eg,they even praise snapshots ).

Most of them don't know the difference between TV and AV on their dials.

so please take a look at my site and help me decide.

Thanks

Manish

The website is great and the pictures are interesting and very creative.

I can't see why not. I guess what you need is companions to share, critique, and shoot photo with you. I believe you will find a great companion who likes photograph as you do.

Best wishes~

I'm going to reinforce what Ian said above. While you can sometimes get some very

insightful and useful commentary and criticism on a forum like this, there are no

guarantees. You don't really know much about the typical responder (and that includes

me... ;-) so you should not necessarily rely on what a few people tell you here.

In addition, certain types of images tend to be more or less successful at sites like this

than they might be in the real world. Sometimes the evaluations are very accurate and

useful. Sometimes excellent work that is subtle and/or doesn't show will in thumbnails or

online is not well received; sometimes work that is less than outstanding gets very high

ratings and positive responses because it works well in this environment or because it

appeals to a certain type of audience.

None of this is to say that feedback here is not valuable, but you certainly need other

kinds of feedback as well.

Finally, I think it is important to try to have a sense that YOU believe in your own work and

your own vision, even to the extent that you can read criticism in an objective way.

Take care, and good luck with your photography!

Dan

Many people feel constatntly dissatisfied with their own work. May be it's just because they keep creating new and harder goals as they keep achieving the old ones and keep putting their own standards higher and higher as they improve. It may make you feel really desperate at times, but on the other hand, that's what drives you to keep improving and exploring new ways and possibilities of seeing and shooting. As long as you enjoy it, I see no reason to stop it.

"I know i enjoy shooting pictures.... (nature,landscapes )."

In view of this statement, why would you stop REGARDLESS of opinion?

Join a photo club. They often hold in house competitions and you can learn a lot if that is what you want to do.

If you are looking at a professional career you need to pick a specialty and work on that, generate a protfolio and get it out in front of the people who would hire you. Good Luck.

"I know i enjoy shooting pictures...."

Nothing else matters

"Do i have it in me?"

Do you have what in you? If this is a serious question you have to be a lot more specific. What do you want in you? If it is more than bringing simple enjoyment to friends and the general public then ask the specific question like "Do I have it in me to make a million dollars" or "Do I have it in me to hang next to Adams" ect ect.

If you are simply looking for validation then ask for that. There are also schools and galleries that offer portfolio evaluation. That might be more what you are looking for.

If you like it, keep going.

All you need to have "in you" is the fun in taking pictures and the desire to make good ones. Your pictures are not the best in the world and neither are mine. But we can both keep doing what we enjoy and try to keep getting better.

So, like everyone else said, keep shooting. The more difficult problem is where to get helpful critiques. That is a bigger challenge. When I look at the most impressive pictures I on this website it seems like the proper use of lighting (including the right timing and luck of outdoor pictures) seems to be the most important factor and the toughest for me to learn.

Good luck.

> "Do i have it in me?"

Do you have *what* in you?

If you're wanting to achieve "master" level proficiency, then two years is hardly long enough. More like ten years!

http://books.google.com/books?id=voWlHWw980UC&pg=RA110-PA785&lpg=RA110-PA785&dq=%22ten+year%22+rule+expert+performance&source=web&ots=T45A7s1pMm&sig=9rIkK8n4tNOUBbTRE_t4sfyn6kE#PPP1,M1

Sorry for the long link, but the message is

"an intriguing finding dating to 1899, which shows that even the most talented individual requires a decade of committed practice before reaching world-class level."

The ten year rule is for anything, not just photography.