Pixelated....Need Help!

jennisphoto

Hi All -

I have a past wedding where I shot some of the outdoor photos at too high of an ISO and I am now dealing

with some very grainy photos. I tried a noise reducer and had delivered them to the bride, but recieved an

email from her today that the photos are not printing clearly even at a 4x6 size. I am not sure what I can

try next to fix the photos so the bride is at least happy with them. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'll

email you the full resolution file if you post your email.

Thank you in advance!

It looks like a noise reducer and bumping up the contrast in these would make them sellable. Maybe there is some other problem that she is having. You can email me the high resolution and I will fix it and try to print an 8X10 and see what happens. info@createmyalbum.com

Mike

I just noticed the image you posted was full resolution. I bumped up the contrast with levels, ran Noiseware Professional on default setting then faded it to 50%, then used a little unsharp mask. Printed it at 8X10 and it looks great. Virtually no noticable pixels and not blurry or extremely soft. You can create an action to do this and have it done in a snap. This fix took 15 seconds on my machine.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Nikon or Canon and what iso. You should not have given her the photos unless at least passable you might have been able to convert to B&W try some motion effect to maybe help. I like Neat Image - if that does not work and it is really bad (usually in the blacks) you can duplicate the layer in PS, Gaussian Blur the top layer then erase the eyes and any non noisy areas.

This actually is not one of the images that made the cut, I just picked an image to upload

quickly because they all have the same problem. I have a couple more of this pose where

everyone is looking at the camera.

Peter...did you remove noise?? The photo does not look pixelated at all!

My monitor (Lacie 319)is calibrated to neutral density via blue eye pro. The image peter uploaded is WAY TO WARM! It looks as if it was adjusted to look good on a laptop screen. Laptop screens are almost always very cool. I agree your original image could use a bit of warmth but not that much. Just thought you should know.

Mike

That's interesting what you say about the image I uploaded being too warm. I can't deny it,

since I can't see what you're looking at. I have an older 17" Apple Studio Display, and I've

only used the Apple Display Calibrator Assistant to calibrate my monitor. That being said,

along with my older OS9 profiling hardware (with spectrophotometer), my prints match my

monitor as close as an LCD monitor can match. Having also checked my images on several

other computers/monitors I'm very satisfied that my set up does not need to be calibrated

further... for the time being.

So my question is, how warm is it? A hard question to answer, I know. The original file

was too cool, having been shot in the shade without color correction or white balance

adjustment. Admittedly, I adjusted the colors in the faces to look as if they were shot in

daylight, since that's what people are expecting to see instinctively, as far as good skin

tones are concerned. So my manipulation may have been a bit too warm, but "WAY TOO

WARM"? That sounds undenyable and emphatic.

If I didn't have over 30 years experience in color printing for a professional lab, and my

own business (giclee) I would take you at your word. But since I do think that I'm pretty

good at color balancing, I have to wonder why it would look WAY TOO WARM! Could it be a

matter of opinion, or is it so warm that it looks unnatural and distracting?

Just wondering.

By the way, I don't think the problem with the image is the noise, as much as it is the

color balance, and contrast due to the poor lighting conditions. I didn't try to eliminate the

noise.

Peter

Jenni, is the bride saying it's not clear when printing, or she's not happy with her results? If it's her printing it and not liking the output, unfortunately, she may have miscalibrated equipment to what you processed. It the pic is coming out blurry on her end, it sounds like soemthing is not right as this is fine at 4x6

Just a thought.

The file from the top of the thread appears to be saved as a medium level jpg file.

Maybe you saved it that way to post it here ... dunno.

Shoot in the highest level jpg your camera allows. Just a thought in passing.

The "noise" doesn't really bother me as much as the exposure ... here's some minor corrections and some cleanup to add to the pile above.<div>00KTNq-35662784.jpg.42874b4aaf2c763c16cf4e60ed5213c2.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
OT - here is a prime example of why not to give away the digital images to the bride. You are now trying to fix a problem that you have no control over. Is she printing these off on her own printer - if so what is it, and is it calibrated, then you have to deal with what paper is she priting it on, and is she using factory ink, or cheap refills. These issues all have the potential to take an excellent shot and turn it into garbage. And guess who gets the blame for the bad prints. I'll give you a hint - it ain't the bride.