Monte

ian_cooke1

Some of you may have heard, but Monte Zucker passed away earlier today.<p>

I know there are probably various personal opinions about this man's style of photography, but there's no

doubt he was a legend who was an inspiration to a lot of photographers and a huge influence on wedding

photography.

I'm sad to hear that. I attended one of his seminars, and although it was a bit of an ad for Monte and his pal Eddie Tapp, the guy was obviously great at his job, was very warm and could have easily just taken it easy by shooting a few high dollar weddings each year. all that, and he chose to spend many of his last years teaching other photographers in by-the-wayside hotels for $50 a night. that's dediction to the art/industry, in my book.

Even with a virtual death sentence prognosis, he worried about being able to meet his commitments to teach. His career ran from 4x5 Graphlex to the latest in digital imaging. A true renaissance man, he will be missed.

In response to my disdain for things digital, he once told me "I will see you on the other side". I now hope that turns out to be so. Rest in peace Monte.

I too only got a chance to see Monte in a very compressed form - with Eddie Tap in Irvine last fall - and I learned more in those three hours than I ever have. You could tell he was in pain - but he soldiered thru, without missing a beat.

Oddly enough, what I learned from Monte that day, and thru two other photographers who had taken Monte's classes, just got put to practice for my first formal pro portrait shoots a couple days ago.

No matter what you thought about his style, Monte was a legend and a damn nice guy. I'm feel lucky to have been able to meet him, shake his hand and thank him for sharing his love for photography with me, even if just for the afternoon.

Thanks again, Monte. Rest easy now.

When I was in my senior year in college Monte allowed my graduating photography class (there were 10 of us) to go into his home one night. He taught us some of his signature poses and lighting techniques and really shared with us his passion in just a few short hours during that visit.

I have caught him here and there at the Photo shows and seminars the past few years. Always smiling and always friendy...a true teacher and mentor. Monte will be greatly missed.

Monte's going to live with God and in our hearts, and his great skill, zest for life and neverending search for growth, learning and improvement, will live on in each of us whose lives he changed. Take his example, and share teach, never tire of working to improve the industry, your art, your service. Jeffrey Blake Adams artisticbride.com