Wireless Remotes

paul_fialon

I was looking into purchasing either the Zigview (R2-SRN) or the Dot Line

wireless remote for my D200. I typically don't purchase non- Nikon accessories

but had heard some "decent" things about these products. If anyone has worked

with either of these and would like to share an opinion I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

Some other alternatives using Nikon MC adapters from 2 or 3-pin to 10-pin:

Spiratone sold a small radio remote for 3-pin bodies (like the F2) in the late '70s/early '80s. I still have mine and with adapters works up to about 100yds on any current 10-pin body. It requires two pushes of the button, one to turn the metering/AF on, and one to fire the shutter. It's very light.

Nikon MW-1: The big boy, aluminum cases and can fire off up to three bodies using MC-5 cables from the receiver to the cameras. Range up to 700 meters. You can find them on ebay for anywhere from 200-400 bucks. As with the Spiratone, it requires adapter MC cables for 10-pin use and requires two pushes to fire, the first to turn on metering/AF. I have one MW-1 set. Transmitter and receiver each require eight AA batteries.

Nikon MW-2: The most recent radio remote from Nikon, plastic cases and only use four AA each for the transmitter and receiver. Slightly shorter range with the lower power, maybe 500 meters. Since this was designed for F3 and later cameras, it requires only one push of the button to fire, but it is stepped, so the half-push turns on metering/AF. This unit requires MC-18 cables and can fire up to three bodies also. I have two sets of MW-2s, and usually these go on ebay for up to 600 bucks. I bought an MW-2 transmitter off of ebay for ten bucks, and then two years later I got the receiver for fifty off of ebay. Not too bad for a total of sixty bucks (I did have to get a cable later which wasn't cheap, but kept the total under 100 bucks). The second set was an ebay as-is purchase from Adorama, where they said it didn't work, but it came with three sets of cables and the cases and looked perfect so I bid and got it for 157 bucks. When I got it I took apart the transmitter and cleaned the battery contacts and it worked perfectly to match the perfect looks of the set. I can fire six cameras at once using one transmitter with both receivers.

Both the MW-1/MW-2 work great with my MT-1 intervalometer for unmanned time-lapse at a distance.

You should also look at at the ML-1/ML-2 IR remotes.