I bought into this system for another purpose and wish I hadn't.

The quality is fine, provided that you're not bothered about the blacks being really black and if you're OK with mono labels, but it's an incredibly slow process. In my experience it takes from 6-20 minutes to burn each label, depending on the content.

I suppose it might be usable if you're only producing the occasional disk.

I've moved on to using printable disks and running them through an inkjet printer

i like it. But the timing is much too long, 10-20 per disk and any fingerprint caused by

putting the cd in the tray will be a spot without etching. I use it mostly for plain text labeling

to send final files to clients. It's great, no peeling labels, etc, and look very professional.

m

I like my lightscribe system. You have to choose an appropriate photo if you are going to use an image; some just don't transfer well. I typically just use text. I only use them as final products given to clients. They usually get one that has all the images, and one that is a DVD slideshow.

I use Avery free software, designed a template in CS2 and just add images when I need to. Take a couple of minutes. I use glossy labels and providing they are centred properly they loo fine.

I thought about lightscribe but the mono aspect looks a little plain and some of the first comments have put me off. I sometimes need to do 10/20 cd/dvds all at once and even 10 minutes would be too much!

Gary? "I've moved on to using printable disks and running them through an inkjet printer" you mean labels right?

Lightscribe is far too slow to be of value to anyone besides an occasional hobbyist. An inexpensive inkjet printer does a better job in a fraction of the time, and can be driven from any graphics program. You have to pick an inkjet with this option, however, including an holder for the CD.

My Epson R260 cost less than $80. Inkjet compatible CDs and DVDs (e.g., Taiyo Yuden) cost about $0.60 each. Taiyo Yuden makes CDs with a glossy, gel finish that are nearly waterproof. The R800 and R1800 will print CDs using nearly waterproof pigment-based inks.

The fastest and most permanent CD marking short of silkscreen uses a thermal transfer from a ribbon. Existing thermal printers cost nearly $4000, and print in as little as 10 seconds. However, the market seems to be disappearing in favor of dedicated inkjet printers.