I bought a remote for my 10D-HELP!

kristen_burton

There's a cheap wired remote that you can buy new off of ebay. It's a third party manufacturer and only has a shutter button. However, it's only like 15 bucks or less. I can't remember the name right now, but I'm sure some brilliant photo.net memeber will know what I'm talking about.

<I>The Canon EOS 10D does not have a wireless remote capability.</i><P>

Sure it does - if you buy Canon's (pricey!) STE-2 remote transmitter. Amazon.com has used ones starting at around $195. They have new ones for $213.79.<P>

One other cool thing about the STE-2 is that you can use it to help your camera lock focus in low light without using a flash.

"The Canon EOS 10D does not have a wireless remote capability.

Sure it does - if you buy Canon's (pricey!) STE-2 remote transmitter"

I think you mean the LC-5 which is more like $400. The STE-2 is a remote for fireing flashes from the camera, not a remote for firing the camera shutter. I'm pretty sure the 10D, like my 30D does not have an IR receiver like the Rebels do.

I have an eBay radio remote trigger for my 20D. The same will work on any of the N3 cameras.<P>

It is available <A HREF="http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16709&cat=0&page=">here</A>. This actually seems like a reasonable quality device and functions very reliably. It allows half press to focus. It does not play well with my flash triggers - I have to use the 2 second delay to get them to sync.

<I>The STE-2 is a remote for fireing flashes from the camera, not a remote for firing the camera shutter</i><P>

I believe it can be used for both; you don't *have* to attach a flash to it:<P>

"Of course the ST-E2 is more than an autofocus assist device. It also serves its primary function as a wireless slave trigger."<P>

From: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/st-e2.shtml

Beau,

We are discussing devices to fire the camera remotely. The ST-E2 does not have this functionality. The ST-E2 will fire flashes remotely with E-TTL coupling but does not have the ability to trigger the shutter on the camera on which it is mounted.

You cannot actually attach a flash to the ST-E2. It mounts on the hotshoe and provides neither an additional hotshoe nor a PC sync socket.