Someone here suggested I get the Jtl J-160 Light kit for my beginning light to

take pictures of my baby. But This may really sound dumb... Sorry

I just got the J-160 and I don't even know how to use it with my camera. I

have Canon Rebel XT with 430 EX speedlite. If someone has a time, can you

please explain to me how to use this light with my equipment? Thank you so

much in advance.

Alice

Hi Alice,

I may have an answer to your question. Possibly the easiest method is to get yourself an adapter that slides into your hotshoe and plug your sync cord into that. Make sure the light is voltage compatible with your camera. Many cameras need a low voltage for the flash. If this is the case with your camera and the flash voltage is too high don't worry. You can get a wein safe sync adapter. It should have a pc connection on the side where you can plug you sync cord into.This slides into your hotshoe as well. There are some wireless options as well, but for your application I think using an adapter to plug your sync cord into is the way to go.

Do you have an umbrella or softbox for your light? Using one of these is a nice way to soften the light.

I almost forgot to ask - do you have a flash meter? If not you should really get one. A good flash meter will make your life easier in terms of getting proper flash exposure.

I hope my answer is not too confusing or long winded.

Robert Way

Alice-- I have to disagree with the previous respondent in regards to the sync cord. You can use your speedlight to set off the JTL.

The JTL has a "slave sensor", which means that it has a sensor which will set it off when the light from another flash hits it. For all intents, this is virtually instantaneous.

What you need to do is set the speedlight to "manual", and make certain that any and all pre-flashes are turned off (such as red-eye reduction). Point the flash so that it is going straight up or out (either is usually fine) so that it won't add any light to the shot. Pointing it up usually works better in most cases. Then set it at as low a power setting that will reliably set off the JTL flash.

Just make sure that the speedlight is set on "manual".

Happy shooting. -BC-

Set the camera to manual to turn off preflashes (at least this is what works on my A70).

You can use your camera for a flash meter. Take a picture. If the highlights are flashing turn down the flash or reduce the aperture. If the highlights don't flash turn up the flash or open the aperture until they do flash, then back off 1/3 or 2/3 stop.

You will probably want to use the JTL for a key light- 45 degrees away from the lens axis and use the 480 for the fill.

If you have a white or warm-colored wall you can point the JTL at the junction of the ceiling and wall to make a soft directional light, and also point the 480 up so it bounces.