Just how loud are shutters in the latest DSLR's?

I am tossing around the idea of moving up to a DSLR within the next year or so.

I come from a background of shooting film for almost 25 years with Canon gear,

from the legendary AE-1 to the EOS A2. To boot, I presently own two high-end

compacts - the G6 and S80.

The A2's shutter is the quietest I have ever heard on *any* SLR camera and is a

very welcome feature when shooting such things as weddings or any event where

the photographer should only be seen and not heard. I keep reading about the

complaints regarding shutter noise of modern DSLR's and wonder if we are where

we need to be in terms of this invaluable function.

Perhaps I was/am spoiled by the old A2, but I don't want to invest a lot of $$$

in something and have it sound like a 12-guage shotgun when I use it.

Thoughts? Do the higher-end models like the Canon EOS 5D have reasonably quiet

shutters?

The 5D is not too bad. The 30D is quieter than my 20D (which most people find quite vocal, but in a good way:)

The quietest SLR I ever used was the EOS 30 (Elan 7e). My 20D is definitely louder, but not as loud as some pro film SLRs like EOS 3...

Go to the shops and try for yourself. Alternatively check out shutter sound recordings as part of some dpreview reviews.

My D2x is quieter than my F5. Both are too noisy to use alone when things need to be really quiet - like a classical concert. That's when I use a blimp. I've never needed a blimp at a wedding. People use Hasselblads at weddings, which are a lot noisier than any small format SLR or DSLR.

If I were you, I'd pick a camera that does what I need it to, then worry about making it quiet. There are no standards for testing. It's easy enough to measure the sound pressure level, but not the level of irritation.

As a violinist I've played a zillion or so weddings. Often during the service I'm not playing, but

rather just sitting and waiting for the recessional or something. And often watching the

photographer. Most photographers around here use either a Canon 5D or Nikon D200, and

to tell you the truth they're both quiet--and photographers have stood right next to me as

they shot.

Scott: that's interesting (and good!) to hear. I recently photographed a woodwind quintet

recital at a library. The D200 shutter sounded deafening to me, so I stopped lest I bug the

folks next to me. I had a Coolpix P&S with no shutter sounds I took all of the while-playing

shots, and relegated the D200 for the in-between stuff. Next time I'll get some listeners to

calibrate with rather than assuming it's too loud.

The 10D as I remember mine was not only relatively quiet, but also quite smooth and vibration free.

That said, the Sony R1 is pretty much silent. There might be other shooting characteristics it lacks for weddings, I don't know, because I have no real experience there, but the IQ is excellent given the quality of its lens and APS sized sensor, and it might work as a special purpose/backup camera for those occasions that require really quiet.

At less than $700, it'd be no more than a decent lens added to your kit. Also the live LCD, and flexible angles would offer some options that could compliment a DSLR very well.