What depth does the Nikonos V fail

photographicsafaris

Hi there,

Ok I know that the manual states that the Nikonos V is rated to 60m. That means it is pressure rated to

7atm, and thus pressure tested to 1.5x

Thus giving a dive rating of 10.5atm or 95m

I know how to use and look after Orings in conjunction with underwater equipment, and am not looking

for info on this.

I have recently used mine happily at 46m, so know it goes down there.

I am also aware that with a dome port not the 35mm port it will endure a greater depth.

Thus, is the 20 or 15 mm best for deeep diving?

There are only three possible failure options:

1) O ring extrusion into the casing

2) Catastrophic metal failure

3) Glass fracturing

Does anyone have first hand experience of the point at which the camera fails as a result of one of

these occurances?

And lastly, what depth have people dragged one down to and returned in one working piece?

Oh and I was planning on taking down a Sea and Sea YS50 as well

My questions are with regard to this unit in particular because I have one and it costs peanuts

compared to a Housed Digital SLR, particularly when it floods!

Thanks G

While going through the underwater program at Brooks Institute of Photography in 197o, I was told the Nikonos II could safely exceed it's official depth rating of 50 meters by a factor of 1.5. O ring material has improved since those days, so I'm guessing O rings are less prone to extrusion.

They fail regularly, at all depths. People who use V's seriously and regularly (a vanishing breed) usually own about half a dozen of them and constantly rotate them in and out of service. Or simply trash them when their electronics really get borked. III's, lacking electronics, are much more reliable (though less functional).

Thanks

Robert, did anyone at the institute have first hand experience?

Marc: Target depth 115m surface temperature 24C bottom about 8C so fits on the 2X

rating.

Craig: any idea who the individual was?

Ocean Physics: they flood regularly for different reasons, Oring mismanagement being the

primary cause, and this is not a failure, it is an operator error. Failure is different to

flooding

Anyone any first hand experience of one that has failed as a result of pressure, not Oring

miss management?

Graham