Sensor cleaning (again)

unclebuddha

I just did my first sensor cleaning using Pec Pads and fluid. The sensor is

markedly cleaner after the swabbing. But I still see some specks when I look

thru the viewfinder. I removed the lens and swabbed the mirror but they are

still there. The rear element of the lens looks clear. Any ideas?

<p>The viewfinder and the sensor are completely separate and unrelated. If the marks appear in sharp focus when you look through the viewfinder, they're on the focusing screen.</p>

<p>BTW, check the manual for your unnamed camera to see if it says anything about touching or cleaning the mirror. Some cameras' manuals specifically warn against doing this, as the mirrors can be damaged relatively easily.</p>

<p>Canned air is usually not the best idea for cleaning the interior of the camera. It can spit out liquids; some cans spray small quantities of lubricants onto whatever you're spraying with them; it can cause the target to freeze within seconds; and if it blows dust off one thing, the dust may settle on something else.</p>

Bottom line:

If you see specks when you look through the viewfinder they are not on the sensor. They

are on the viewfinder and will not show up in your photos.

Dust on the sensor will cause specks to show up in the photographs, but you will not see

these specks in the viewfinder.

I concur with the advice about not touching the mirror. The reflective material is on the

surface of these mirrors and can easily - or so I'm told - be damaged. A blower is the best

bet here, along with lliving with some dust - it won't hurt anything. (But keep in mind that

the mirror is almost certainly not issue here.)

Dan

There are forms of canned air which are safe to use for cleaning cameras. Just don't use the stuff that you get at your office supply store. I tried that once and it spit liquid on my sensor cover which left a residue and showed up as LOTS of dots when shooting at small apertures. Luckily, Pec Pads and some methanol cleaned the spots right off.

"The specks on the sensor are all cleaned off."

Then I think most of us would say your job is done. A little VF dust is not important. I would also support those who say don't touch the mirror. Not only is it the easiest component to damage, but a little dust here affects neither the VF or sensor image to any perceptible degree

I have a 30D and have the same problem but besides dust I also have grease spots...don`t know how but I do. You woun`t be able to do anything with a blower...just rearange the dust. Use photoshop to delete the spots or send the camera to the place you bought it to fix it. It will cost you some but you will have the dust removed and your camera will be safe and unharmed;)