Bringing a tripod to the Galapagos

david_herman3

I spent 10 days in the Galapagos last summer. After having read quite a bit about other people's experiences, I ended up bringing neither, but looking back I really would have liked a monopod, but a tripod would have been pretty useless.

I think your preference will ultimately be determined by the pace of the group you end up with. I went on a regular tour (not photo specific), and the "very" photographing people in the group invariably ended up in the back - and I certainly wouldn't have had time to work a tripod. Consequently, because I don't have any VR lenses, quite a few pics were shot at 800-1600, and there a monopod would have been a great help.

Then again, a tripod for some HDR shots would also have been nice, when we went ashore on the main island.

I have been there some years ago. I found a monopod useful to set up shots quickly where I used the 250 mm lens (with the Hasselblad) and used the camera without support with 50 and 80 mm lenses. I would not have had enough time to set up a tripod (or would have lost a lot of pictures by doing this). It would be different if you were travelling with a special group where plenty of time is available for photography.

Ulrik

Typically, you tour the Galapagos Islands with a group of people on a cruise ship, and you go ashore to 1 or 2 islands per day. Typical cruises vary from 7 to 14 days.

If you are going with a general group with a lot of non-photographers, you bringing a tripod will likely hinder the progress of the entire group. In that case you'll find out very quickly that you using a tripod is not welcome.

However, if you are going with a photography group with serious photographers, most people will have a trpiod and you should have plenty of time to compose and wait for the best moment as well as light. In that case a tripod will be very helpful.

So it really depends on whom you are traveling with. If you are still not sure, I would bring a light tripod. Worst comes to worst, you just leave in the ship after you find out what the situation is in day 1.

I did not bring a tripod and am glad that I did not - there is so much light that you don't need it for most shots and it would have been a major pain in the butt to lug back and forth from the boat to the islands. If I go again (and I hope I do), I will consider a monopod for when a little extra stability is needed.

As noted, if you're going on a general tour of the Galapagos, you won't have much time to

use a tripod. A monopod would certainly be useful even as a walking stick. I went on one

of Lindblad's photo tours, and we had separate landings/zodiac rides for photographers.

Most of us brought tripods, but we had plenty of time to use them and set up shots. I used

mine quite a bit. Where the non-photographer groups would meander down the trail and

stop to discuss natural history, the photographers would zip along to good photo

locations and get set up. We'd also go out earlier and stay out later.

The walks are not very long at all, so I didn't find the tripod a hindrance. I'm used to

carrying it long distances anyway for nature photography. What would have been even

more useful would have been a pair of knee pads. One of the pro shooters who was on the

trip was a sports photographer and he brought along a pair, much to the envy of others.

Louie's point is exactly right. Most of the Galapagos tour groups are general-purpose, natural history type. Unless you are with a dedicated photo group, I wouldn't use a tripod. If you are with a serious photo group, a tripod can be very useful.

Since different people have different objectives for this trip, if you are with the wrong group, it can be very frustrating for everybody. For example, a person who is only interested in the biology will have a hard time understanding why you are spending so much time on photography.

Most of the trails on the Galapagos are short and not too difficult, but it is right on the equator and can be very hot. If you visit Fernandina on the extreme west, you might need to walk on a lot of large boulders which can be a bit challenging. The landing site on Genovesa (Tower) Island in the north east is called Prince Philip Steps, named after Queen Elizabeth's husband. That landing involves a steep climb up a cliff onto the island on some wet rocks right next to the ocean. That landing can be challenging as well.

Also, bear in mind that you're a) restricted to the trails; and b) required to be with your guide

all the time. So, you won't be able to just tell the guide to go on without you. You'll have to

stay with the group. If you're going on a large ship, then there might be several groups

around, in which case, you can sort of drop back from one group to another, but otherwise,

don't expect to take your time without holding everybody up.

Do take the opportunity to try some wide-angle wildlife photography. The Galapagos is one

of the few places where it's easy to do.<div>00KScI-35641184.jpg.47aa538df9525bd173647eed090c4048.jpg</div>