Carrying a new Nikon zoom lens

Ed_Ingold

1. Dust (actually, lint) on the sensor is a fact of life. I'm not convinced merely switching lenses contributes significantly to the the dust problem if you keep the bag and rear of each lens clean.

I arrange the bag to hold the most common lens(es) used with the camera when mounted. I have a 70-200, but prefer to leave a shorter lens mounted which I'm using more at the moment. I could easily configure the bag (a Mini-trekker) to hold a mounted 70-200.

2. Flat is bad - you have to stack items in the bag and dig through them. Store the camera vertically with the lens down.

3. It's OK to let the lens support the body in a bag. A lens that large ir probably stronger and heavier than a D50 anyway. It's better to help support the camera using the vertical partitions, however.

For a shoulder bag, I use a Lowepro Pro Mag I or II, depending on the body. The II fits a pro body better, with 6" of space - the I is 4.5" which works well if there is no battery grip. Lately, I prefer a Computrekker backpack (Minitrekker plus computer slot) for easy, long-term carrying and ready access to all the gear when open. My loaded gig bag weighs about 28 pounds - too heavy for a shoulder bag, which should not exceed about 16 pounds.

I recently purchased a Nikon 70-300G (which I like very much) to go with my D50.

I also have the 18-55dx, my old Coolpix 5700, and an external flash.

Everything fits into my LowePro Orion Trekker II as long as the 70-300 isn?t

attached to the D50.

Here?s my question, since many people suggest switching lenses as infrequently

as possible to avoid getting dust on the sensor, I hate to switch back to the

18-55 every time I put the camera away (only to possibly switch back when I take

it out). However, the 70-300 won?t sit upright in the bag without resting

heavily on the lens. Should I:

1. Switch each time to store the camera?

2. Rearrange the bag so the D50 can lay flat (instead of upright) with either

lens? This means putting my 5700 in a different bag (I don?t really use it much).

3. Go ahead and put the D50 upright with either lens?

4. Get a new, bigger bag (not a good option, since my wife would kill me)?

Finally, when I eventually get a bigger bag, do people just set it up to hold

their camera with any size lens so they don?t have to switch all the time?

Thanks for the input!

"Finally, when I eventually get a bigger bag, do people just set it up to hold their camera with

any size lens so they don?t have to switch all the time?"

Yes, thats what I do. You need a bigger bag. You need to be able to pack the bag so that

items are protected from impacting each other, but are easily accessible. I recommend the

Lowepro 200 or 300 AW Sling. It might be worth dieing for. ;-)

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/filter.aspx?path=/Products/Sling_Bags/