Sekonic 758

py_wong

hi guys, new to here, nice you meet you all. I am going to need to buy a light meter, I am going to buy the

Sekonic 758, coz it's the newest... but a bit confused, do you knwo what is the differnet between the 758D

and 758DR or sth like this. Also, since I am buying from Hong Kong, the prices for the standard and the

Cine version are almost the same. So can someone tell me us the Cine version exactly the same as the

standard but giv ou an extra option to messure motion? Bcoz I am currently a still images photogrpaher

but just started doing a bit of video, so if the Cine version can do exactly what the Standard does but with

a bit extra, I think I would go for the Cine one...

Please help...

i just bought a 758D, the DR has the built-in Radio Transmitter but be warned, I've heard that the frequency is only compatible with the pocket-wizards as these products are now sold together in the full package. However (and to side track a little) the aforementioned compatibility doesn?t really matter as you can always fire your remote heads from the transmitter that you can hold in your hand! This works because the 758 series has a 'Waiting for Flash' function :) Thought this might be of interest to anyone whi wanted to get the DR instead of the D as it was to me.

Anyway, back to your point! As far as I'm aware, the Cine versions? are the same but have the addition of being able to take in account shutter angles.

I am also getting calls for video but know my 758D will do he job as light meter as im not using a ?100,000 video camera! Even Z1E's and V1E or U depending on where u r, have very accurate and reliable exposure system and the 758 could easily (IMHO) be suited to that kind of equipment.

Having said all this of course..if u can get a Cine for the price of a 758D .. GO FOR THE CINE! (be sure to check out ALL the differences first, but as i've mentioned, he Cine jus ADDS to what the 758 has.

Hope this helps.

I believe the R includes the Pocket Wizard radio transmitter to remotely fire flashes and such. The Cine version computes frames per second rather than actual still shutter speed, and won't do you much good for regular photography. Some meters let you switch between measurement methods, and this may be one of them, I don't recall.

According to the manual for the three meters, the Cine has profiling. It does not come with the radio transmitter module as standard - the DR does.

The Cine will read out in lux or fc (incident) and fl or cd/m^2 (reflective). It has seven pre-set filter factor settigs, for an 85, ND 0.3, ND 0.6, ND 0.9 and combinations of the 85 with those ND filters. The Cine has a wider range of available frame rates (the D and DR have a good range, including 12, 16, 18, 24, 25, 30, 32, 36, 40, 50, 60 fps) and it allows the adjustment of shutter angle while the D and DR assume 180 degrees when a frame rate is set.

Otherwise the Cine has everything the D has.