On-line Proofing or proof books?

elaine marie

Just curious how many do on line proofing...smugmug etc or 4x6 proof albums or

both and why. What are you finding the brides want the most. Are you finding

they are happy with one and not the other? or do they want both.Trying to figure

out which way to go here.

Elaine

Both.

I shoot film, so prints are still a natural for me. I have everything printed to 4x5, and when I shoot 35mm, I take that into account in my framing. I also shoot medium format, so the 4x5 aspect ratio is a natural for my 645. I proof in an 8-up 5x5 album that allows me to rotate the photos so my clients don't have to turn the book for proper orientation, allows me the freedom to use my square format gear when the fancy strikes me, and I can put everything in one album.

My lab scans my film and gives me complimentary Kodak Proshots (at least until they discontinue it) thumbnail CDs, which I use to order reprints with the Proshot Lab software. I also upload the thumbnails to collages.net for online proofing and reprint fulfillment.

Best of both worlds. The reprint orders I get through collages more than pay for the event sites, and the proof book is a big selling point because a lot of photogs in the area don't include one, and people love having a book full of prints to hold in their arms and flip through.

We present 6x4 or 10x8 prints in a viewing album. The prints are exposure and colour corrected. At the viewing, in our office, we have AV equipment to allow the client to see real size enlargement options. The prints form the final album choices. We guarantee all client`s confidentiality, security and privacy, we do not transmit images via the WWW.

WW

All of our proofing is done through a password-protected online gallery. About 30%-40% of

our clients come from out of state, so they need a way to preview their photographs without

coming to us.

All but our base collection include prints as well, so there's a hand-on viewing option. About

half of our clients say they don't really want "proof" prints though, and they trade them in for

a larger album or something similar.

I provide images online in a private gallery for the couple, and as finished 4x6 prints. Clients love the online galleries because they can share them with friends and family far away. The online galleries benefit me by promoting that word of mouth advertising. Everytime I've handed clients the boxes full of prints, they are pleasantly surprised. I think since so few photogs in my area do it that way, they feel they're getting more than they expected. I benefit because since I also include hi-res discs, I want to be sure they see how I intended the printed image to be. This has resulted in reprint orders because no local consumer labs can match the quality I gave them.

Both. I offer digitally printed proof books which are 8X10 pages, and there are 4 images on a page printed on photographic paper. This helps so others will still order images. Before, when I was offering 4X6's, the bride and groom would give thier proofs to their mom and sister and so forth. Therefore the family did not buy reprints. So, now the bride can get all her proofs, but I am not putting a kabash on my reprint sales.

Also, like Cindy, I do the online proofing so they can share them with their friends and family that might not otherwise see the proofs. I can't say I really get a LOT more orders, but the online proofing has two purposes. 1. It is a service for the bride and groom so they can share their wedding with others, and 2. Advertising for me.

I do all my proofing with 4x6 proofs in proof albums and WITH order sheets in between each page.

Here is why...

The couple shows friends, co-workers, family etc.. the proof albums.

They notice there is an order box next to each print which has a space for family, friends etc.. and little boxes with sizes above each row.

I also put the price sheet in album number one. Then when friends sees a print of themselves or the couple or when family sees prints of the couple or the family or candids they want - all they have to do is put in a check mark in the appropriate box.

Then...when the couple has people over or visits family throughout the holidays etc... they bring the books. When "other" people/family see the check marks next to various prints..they usually decide they want to order some too. A kind of copycat reaction.

When the proof books come back to me - There are clearly 3 to 8 different pens/pencils or various colored/type post it notes all over the place. The orders I get are huge and sometimes I get the books back twice! The last order I filled was for $1500 worth of reprints. Last year the same couple ordered around $500 worth of reprints. Oh - and they still want to do an album - probably next year.

I don't do online proofing because I don't like the quality on some screens and it can make it look like my shots are too light or too dark or pixelated (various monitors). That just doesn't show off my work the way it should look. I think actual books with actual prints being passed around on a couch is much more likely to generate more print orders and there is no time limit. Couples are showing their wedding photos to visitors to their home for years to come. The online stuff is gone after some period of time never to be seen again except for what the couple printed for frames and/or album.

• 1 month later...