Sigma vs. Quantary

paul_ferrante

Some Quantaray's are also Tokina's (like my 19-35AF Nikon) and Tamron's. Promaster does a similar thing with their products sold through mostly small dealers.

People will say they must be a lesser grade, and will resell for less. My 19-35 works just fine. I also had an older Quantaray/Sigma 70-300 non-macro that I bought for $70, used for a summer, and traded in at a bottom dollar dealer for a surprising $60, who knows.

I have a Quantaray 135-400. A few years ago when I needed to get it rechipped, I was told by Sigma that the only difference between it and the Sigma version is that the Quantaray is directly imported by Ritz (not Sigma USA) and therefore Sigma USA won't honor the Quantaray warrantee. Sigma said that they would rechip it for me, but would charge for the service. I checked with Ritz national service, they confirmed that, but told me that they would rechip it for free, even though I was not the original owner. They did & it works fine. Not sure if that is still the way it works.

Tom