Help! Flash Bracket for Large Lens

michael_scharf

I currently have a Nikon D70s with an 80-200 f2.8 lens and an SB600 flash on a

regular flash bracket. The pro lens is heavy and the D70s is not made to

support this lens so I was wondering if there is a flash bracket that would

support the lens (by the tripod mount on the lens) and the camera at the same

time? I was thinking of making a metal plate that would support both at the

same time. Any ideas? Thanks.

You should be able to use any regular flash bracket. They will mount on the tripod mount on the lens. Nice thing is you could mount the flash on the bracket, too, keeping the weight off the D70 hot shoe. SOunds kind of clumsy, though. I would just keep my left hand under the lens to support it while shooting. Right hand should be barely holding any weight.

Thanks for all your help.

"Have you considered mounting your lens on a monopod with the flash bracket attached to your body?"

I use a tripod for poses but I mostly shoot Bar Mitzvahs so most of the time I am walking around and I am not able to use a monopod.

"Not true, but it helps to have your left hand under the lens."

I was told by a rep at KEH that the D70s is a prosumer model and it was not built to hold 3 pound lenses unlike the pro models that are solid metal instead of plastic. Please correct me if I am wrong.

"go to http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/index.html"

This is a cool bracket although I would rather spend all that money on another lens. I also use an 18-200 lens so mounting my flash to the lens would make things difficult.

You should be able to use any regular flash bracket. They will mount on the tripod mount on the lens. Nice thing is you could mount the flash on the bracket, too, keeping the weight off the D70 hot shoe. SOunds kind of clumsy, though. I would just keep my left hand under the lens to support it while shooting. Right hand should be barely holding any weight.