Leica fora/forums

LUG (Leica Users Group). Ingrown bunch, resulting in defective gene pool. Hostile to outsiders.

Range Finder Forum. Really excessive gear talk. Black vs. Chrome and so on. Creamy vs. harsh nokeh. Just like here!

PND (on Flickr). Stands for Photo.net Dissidents (self-proclaimed). All they do is discuss this Leica forum and Greenspun's trove of naked women pictures (penis envy I think). Some of them have returned, as PND died an unnatural death (due to lack of interest). It's currently on life support.

ULFIE (on Flickr). Stand for Uncensored Leica Forum in Exile. Apparently all *their* members have gone into exile from that forum. It's dead.

<i>

ULFIE (on Flickr). Stand for Uncensored Leica Forum in Exile. Apparently all *their* members have gone into exile from that forum. It's dead.</i>

<p>

ULFIE isn't <i>quite</i> dead; some people are still posting photos to the pool pretty regularly. There are no discussions going on there, though, and in fact something about the design of the flickr site and its discussion facility seems to generate less robust discussions and less long-lived communities than the Photo.net structure. People are of course still free to join ULFIE and re-start discussions there; the point of the group was to give people someplace to discuss without any moderator interference.

<p>

I'd love to see a study someday on site design, discussion quality, and community longevity. My feeling is that the way a site looks and works have a big influence on what kinds of communities grow up around the site.