Canvas Prints on Stretcher Frames

Ask that question here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWideFormat/messages

Alternatively, mine the archives -- this question has been discussed in depth there a couple of times.

Consensus seems to be that canvas is printed, sprayed, then stretched. The reason for this is the protective coatings are flexible and help prevent cracking of the canvas coating/ink layer during stretching.

As for me, when I do this I get the canvas printed and sprayed, and it's shipped to me rolled in a tube. My framer does the stretching for me. He's never had a problem doing it. And it's a lot cheaper and safer to send canvas rolled in a tube that it is to send it stretched. The carriers do so love to drop every package as often as they can. ;-)

Hi folks,

<P>This spring I am beginning to offer my clients a full range of canvas prints

from plain stretched prints to gallery wraps. Though most of the clients I have

polled have expressed an interest in canvas prints that will be framed. I

talked to my framer and he recommended having the print come to him on stretcher

bars because, he said, when the prints have a protective finish on them he

believes this is added after they are put on the stretcher frame and he didn't

want to mess it up.

<P>So, I've done some research:

<UL>

<LI>Finerworks.com offers matte canvas prints, stretched, with finish.

<LI>Simplycanvas.com offers canvas prints as gallery wraps and so they're more

pricey, and come with the protective finish on them. They say for framing to ask

for 3/4in frame instead of their normal 1.5in.

<LI>Mpix.com uses 3/4" stretched frames, but to my knowledge no protective

finish... and of course they offer gallery wraps.

<LI>Canvasondemand.com I don't know much about, but they offer frames.

</UL>

<P>Any advice? I want the best quality print I can get.

<P>Thanks, Paul

If you are doing photo RC prints, the absolute best way is to put Drytac lustre laminate on the print with a hot hard-bed press. Then strip the RC and paper backing off the front image layer, put betwee adhesive layer and sized canvas and back into press. Then stretch on bars.

For Epson prints, I don't know.

You can do own stretching. Unless you are doing very large prints, it's simple to do and the supplies are so cheap they're almost free. Anyone can learn from instructions on the net, and the art supply stores usually have someone who can help explain it if you need it. I've been doing it about five years now and never had a complaint or a print come back.

Thanks. Since this is a rush order (for a showing), I decided to go with my Boston pro lab (Colortek.org) who will scan the 120 transparency and print it using an Epson inkjet. I am going to soon shoot samples and print at simplycanvas, since I really liked their customer service as I've been asking questions on this topic to the various vendors today. Since I'm just moving to digital, I still have yet to decide on a proper workflow for optimal printing results on anything larger than an 11x14.

Paul, I'd love to know what you thought of your final print. I've been looking into the same thing and found

www.whcc.com (need to set up an account)

www.arttecprints.com

www.winkflash.com

www.picturesalon.com

www.myphotopipe.com

www.canvasrus.com

www.bayphoto.com

simply judging by the website for canvasfromphoto.com compounded with their very cheap price, i'd feel iffy about using them. but do let us know how it turns out.