... and where does the dust go?

mendel_leisk

New tech is quite a sexy feature that we get used to very quickly.

Canon last releases (400D and coming 1D mkIII) with dust cleaning put a lot of

peace in mind of on the field photographers, but: where does that dust go?

The vibrating thing is still inside the body, so the dust would sit there,

somewhere inside.

Would it be some, not visible sticking dust on the sensor, but visible "flying"

dust in the chamber when the mirror flips up and down at 10 fps?

The body is weather sealed so nothing would go in and so nothing would go out

neither- assume you don't change the one for all purpose lens :)

How does one vacuum that dust out? Is this an issue?

Just wondering.

They come with a micro mini dust bag, which has to be emptied every 20 cleans or 6 months, whichever comes first:)

Your question assumes that the vibration firstly gets the dust loose from the sensor`s protective glass cover.

If the vibration does so, then yes, the dust particles would (in nearly all circumstances) be attracted to something and would attach themselves elsewhere; or back on the sensor`s glass cover.

I would never vacuum them out. That would, IMO, be silly and potentially costly.

It is only an issue (to me) if there is dust on the sensor`s cover and I can see the result in the image.

I am however biased, as the criterion of an in house dust cleaner, does not even get on my list of criteria for DSLR choice.

> The body is weather sealed so nothing would go in and so nothing would go out neither <

This assumes that the lens and/or tele-converter being used is also `weather sealed`.

Even then `NOTHING` is a very large amount of something and, moreover, I do not believe that Canon`s `Dust and Weather Resistant Construction` will purport to `nothing` getting in or out.

Pedantic I know, but necessary I believe: Dust is going to be a fact of life, so lets get basic, take all the appropriate steps to reduce the incidence and clean the sensor`s glass cover sensibly. That to me is the bottom line and end of chapter.

WW

Yeah yeah,

It's interesting to analyse how marketting staff justify big price raise by some 'minor' improvements :) (other improvements are bigger though)

More and more people, who don't use the 1D series, use (batery) vertical grip or shoot in portrait mode. So basically the dust in the bottom of the camera, removed with the shaking screen, will be shaken again and the fairy dust has to combine the magic with image rotation technology to keep the dust out of the way of light :)

That makes me think that, instead of a dust shaking screen, why don't they build a in-body-blower which would blow some air outwards when the lens is taken off?

That was just my 2 cents and I'm still enjoying my 30D and 5D so far(with some dust on the lens :()