raczoliver

I have a Bronica SQ-A which I bought second hand and love using very much, but

the focusing screen is in bad condition and is also not too bright in my

opinion. I was thinking of getting a new screen, and was wondering if you could

recommend a specific make. I need a pretty basic screen, plain matte, perhaps

with a microprism, but I don't care for it too much. I want it to be bright,

contrasty and easy to focus (don't we all want that?:-). I have been looking at

Beattie and Brightscreen, but honestly, Brightscreen is a little on the pricey

side for me at $280 a piece, already with a 20% discount. Do you have experience

with any of these or other screens? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Oliver:

Best would be to look for a used one from online camera shops or auction sites. Also, get some information about Maxwell screen. Almost everyone here at photo.net highly rates both the product and the man behind it. I read here that Maxwell could even coat an existing screen. Hope this helps.

Subho

I have used both Beattie and Maxwell extensively and far prefer the latter. They are both a lot brighter than the std Bronica screens but the Beattie I found harsh and not easy to focus. There doesn't appear to be much if any difference in cost according to how these screens are configured so consider whether a split image device would help focus and gridlines help with composition. Both of these brands are of course just as easy to get scratched and dirty as the originals. They are both really easy to fit with Bronicas.

If you meter TTL you will need to test and set some degree of compensation for the fact that the brighter screen will tend to fool the meter into believing that your scene is brighter than it is, leading to underexposure.

I posted something similar a couple of weeks ago. I found an new auto focus Mamiya 645 & was wondering if I should change systems because I'm getting older & I find it somewhat harder to focus. The answers on Pnet led me to send off my 2 ETRs screens to Maxwell. He is doing a process called HiLux on one of them & they should be returned within a week. I will post how much an improvement this makes. The cost is less than 1/2 the price of a new screen. So if your screen is not badly scratched that may be an option.

I have a Brightsceen in my Bronica S2A and love it. Much brighter and easier to focus than the

standard screen. I have not personally used the Maxwells, but I also hear good things 'bout

them as well.

Either way I think you will find that your shooting will become much easier and much more

enjoyable due to the increased brightness and contrast of either screen.

Good Luck!

As luck would have it my screens came in today. I only had one processed with the "HiLux" process. Now my F2.8 75mm is much clearer but the lens I will be using most (the 45-90 F4.0) is now as clear if not clearer than the F2.8 was before. I can now focus easily indoors wih it. I can even focus - though very carefully - with the 125-250 F5.6 INDOORS.

OK.

Now here's the scoop. About 2 weeks ago I was in the Wolf Photo clearance center in Dallas (972-241-4688) and they had a close out Mamiya 645AF package -new in the box w/warranty- for $999.00 (list price $3,800). They said they would no longer be selling medium format. Now,since I will not be selling my Bronica gear & buying the Mamiya I thought I would pass it along to any one interested.